Crane Operators making $500K???

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Don't forget bus drivers, same basic job transporting people. And the bus drivers have to deal with drunk drivers, questionable passengers. Narrow roadways, road construction and they don't have any good looking stewardess to flirt with.

#51     Jul 6, 2011
  2. ashatet

ashatet

I am no fan of Unions and I live in IL, where Unions are sucking all my tax money.

But crane operation is a very intense job that requires a very degree of precision almost at the same level of a surgeon, one bad move and many people could get hurt.

So, I defend the 82 an hour pay for them. But then I have a problem with overtime, these people should not be allowed to work even a minute over 8 hours, since they should be rested. So, they demand high salary because this job requires a high degree of precision and then work crazy hours and sacrifice that precision.

I conclude that anything over 82 an hour is like screwing the tax money. No wonder everything has been outsourced. I would rather live in a society where people make good money. Thanks a lot democrats.

#52     Jul 7, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

:confused:

True, both pilots and bus drivers are transporting people. Aside from that though your comparison seems silly to me.

#53     Jul 7, 2011
  4. but... but that make you a hypocrite!? like the re-thug-licans!:eek:

#54     Jul 7, 2011
  5. bronks

bronks

Been off-island the past few days.

Actually I do agree with you on this, I was playing more devil's advocate than anything else. I'm kinda partial to my trade and don't like any others making more than us, lol. That being said, one of the reasons, as explained to me back in the day, for overtime premiums was to discourage employers from taking the men from their families on the weekends and to keep them from abusive rundown practices way back when. Hence the OT premiums of:

Time + 1/2 after 8 hrs and/or Saturdays
    Double time after 10 hrs and/or Sundays
    Triple time on selected holidays (Labor Day for example)

Now as you well know this has been flipped upside down with hands actually searching out the OT. I believe the operator in question was the gross implementation of this. And don't ask me what warrants that third guy, usually it's just the op. and the oiler.

#55     Jul 9, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Is this supposed to be a riddle?

#56     Jul 9, 2011
  7. bronks

bronks

I get it... I'm stupid and can't understand my own thoughts.

What ever will I do????

#57     Jul 9, 2011
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

Get a job as a crane operator works tons of overtime and spend all your money at titty bars?

:)

#58     Jul 9, 2011
  9. bronks

bronks

I think we are in agreement with this.
    I don't remember anybody complaining about anything 'cept how much the op. was making. As Super Chicken used to say: "Besides, you new the job was dangerous when you took it."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y

Remember now there's the whole politicization of union officials and that directly affects the collective bargaining agreement. But like I said, it's a rabbit hole with so many inter connections that instead of trying to search for answers there, I've decided to treat the whole system like the market. They (the unions) are getting their ask price. Eventually, when price get's out of whack, all bids will be pulled.

Just curious, in what capacity were you in the industry J-Law? And what does it matter that the men have two homes and drive nice cars, and corporate employees don't make as much? Who are you or anyone to decide the arbitrary value of what a construction worker makes? This is America right? As of right now, until something changes, anyone is able to join the trades and make that type of wage. So it seems to me that you are the one who's complaining.

And yes, I'm in agreement with Lucrum that we can blame the Dems for this whole mess. We are told to vote blindly for the Democrats by our unions.

#59     Jul 9, 2011
  10. bronks

bronks

Yeah baby!

... wait... that's just a bit stereotypical Lucs.

Sorry, gotta run and make some change for my twenties... Shania and her ping pong balls are up next.

#60     Jul 9, 2011