Crane Operators making $500K???

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jun 30, 2011.

1. That and...........unnamed sources always add an element of credibility to any article.

Jeffff, from Cornell, an Ivy League bastion of higher learning, was the only one cited.

#31     Jul 4, 2011
  2. #32     Jul 4, 2011
  3. curve fitting to the max. common sense dictates that free money, aka stimulus, creates jobs. anybody who thinks otherwise doesnt know how ponzi schemes work. sure, there comes a point in time where free money stops working because the pyramid has become unsustainable. But until that point is reached, stimulus creates jobs.

#33     Jul 4, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

At least you're willing to admit our government/economy is a ponzi scheme

#34     Jul 4, 2011

5. I beg to differ. I'm no fan of Goldman, but if it weren't for the I-banks, companies wouldn't get funding for projects and startups, so you're wrong. How do you think those projects get funded? Who puts together the bonds for construction?

Unions in this country are abysmal, they are corporate cancer. Between them, the Dems, and the overall size of the government, this country is going to continue on a steep uphill battle.

#35     Jul 5, 2011
  6. If you think that 500K is reasonable, you are just one very ,very stupid person.

#36     Jul 5, 2011
  7. bone

bone

Let me guess, you also think that expending $273K per job created as the official Congressional audited result regarding the Pelosi/Reid/Obama "Stimulus Package" is reasonable as well.

#37     Jul 5, 2011
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

This whole situation is so surreal. There are no real jobs and the only new job creation is from QE that the government makes. The jobs are then available in the strangest industries for a couple of years dependent on the decision of the government. They pay high wages and then collapse when the direction of the policy does.

#38     Jul 5, 2011
  9. bronks

bronks

This sounds personal with you and some others. Care to voice your opinion on why it's not reasonable?

#39     Jul 5, 2011
  10. J-Law

J-Law

Bronks, where should I start?

Union labor in NYC is a lil spoiled and has a sense of entitlement.
    The premiums being paid for work to be performed are too high given the productivity received. One really has to ask the question why is a union carpenter or electrician is making more than say someone like a teacher who play are far more significant role in shaping our society. Their rates could stand to be reeled in given what you as a taxpayer is getting in return on the most current municipal project.
    Additionally, that motto of union quality goes out the window once a job is manned with "hall guys" as opposed to employer selected company men. These are the men that no company wishes to hire on a regular basis because of lousy craftsmanship, are criminals, or in most case are flat out lazy. They end up being called because seasonal demand absorbs all the decent tradesmen. They end up on the job, feign productivity, cause labor riffs, or literally do nothing all day and in some cases SLEEP. They and non working shop stewards wearing dress shoes to site command the latest negotiated project labor agreement rates that can amount to $80/hr (includes benefits) and the construction client whether a developer on a private job or a municipality (really you the taxpayer) has to absorb this All under guise of "union quality".

I won't say that there isn't a need for organized labor. But the current system is BROKEN.
    Hey, great. You operate a crane and that is a rare skill. But, twisted is the system that rewards a person whom makes $500,000 a year or even lets for argument sake half that as an employee with a high school education. Where the licensed Engineer on the same job goes to College, gets an engineering degree, passes the state PE exam, then bears the risk by stamping the drawing set with his steel design and makes a fifth of the crane operator. It's truly ass backwards. Then sit there and listen to these guys complain that they are being trampled underfoot by the GC, CM, the city, the last 3 presidents and whoever else they can think of.
    The system is broken

Organized labor in NYC has always been a racket and will continue to be one.
    You'll be surprised what you can accomplish with a small army of non-union Mexicans!

#40     Jul 5, 2011