Crane Operators making $500K???

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

:confused: Huh?

#21     Jul 3, 2011
  2. LOL

Once again, common sense eludes "elite" traders.

#22     Jul 3, 2011
  3. bronks

bronks

There are two separate issues at work here: unions and the operator himself.

The operator is in a very specialized field, on a high profile job. He and his training/experience alone is responsible for the safety of the hands within his scope of operation, and also the possibility of severely impacting the job schedule (which trumps everything hence the massive OT) if he exceeds his limitations and causes equipment/ building damage, and/or serious bodily harm or death. Whether you agree or not on the amount he makes... this dude has a lot on his plate.

His wages are dictated by a collective bargaining agreement with various entities directly involved, at the end of that particular union's contractual agreement term. This is where they decide the "fair value" upon the wages for the work performed. The "Hand" in this case the operator, generally has no direct say in this except via proxy with his elected union officers. I'm NOT going to get into the politicization aspect between union and government officials, as that can easily go down a rabbit hole.

As a hand in a union myself, from my perspective, it is most beneficial. We generally get higher wages, better medical packages, and pension and annuity plans. So my standard of living will be better than a non-unionized hand.

As a business owner who can only hire union, as I'm a union signatory contractor, I find the system cumbersome and inflexible, and at times very antiquated. However those are minor compare to the problems of a level playing field when bidding against non-union contractors, especially those from Korea or China which seem to be permeating more and more these days. Simply put, I cannot compete with them. Quality of work doesn't mean shit. As long as you bring your job either on or before schedule and it doesn't collapse in the process, you are in like flynn.

IMHO I wouldn't know where to start. It's much more complicated than to just consider getting rid of unions all-together.

Texas and a host of other southern states are "right to work" states. Look that up and cross reference with some of the poorest states in our nation.

#23     Jul 3, 2011
  4. bone

bone

Why take my word for it ? How is it that the NorthEast, Cali, Illinois and the other "rust belt" states are hemorraging jobs ?

You ignore facts that inconvenience your 'truth'.

#24     Jul 3, 2011
  5. Has anybody fact checked the story to see if there any crane operators actually making 500K a year ?

#25     Jul 3, 2011
  6. bone

bone

Arrow, great call. Seems a bit ... iffy.

#26     Jul 3, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Interesting.

#28     Jul 3, 2011
  8. I don't know whether unions will works in USA. we have unions here, they work. But the unions in USA. WOW. I heard stories, the unions in USA have nothing to do with original goal. WHat now happens in unions is the OLDIES abuse the YOUNGIES. Oldies lobby for crazy pensions which the youngies will have to pay for in the future. Both know that's unsustainable. When I look at the unions in my country, there is much more common sense.

How the difference? I think in USA it's mostly about the individual. People with power will try to get as much money as possible, like union leadership. WHile that is true in my country too, it is of a lesser nature. USa is definately a country where stuff that works in other countrties here plainly dont work for some reason. Individualism to the extreme.

Same reason I dont think banning guns would work. USA is a very violent country, banning guns might lead to more violence. What a differenc eto European countries, where banning guns does work.

#29     Jul 4, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

#30     Jul 4, 2011