Crane Operators making $500K???

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mercor

Mercor

Forcing a New York general contrator to pay $82 a hour and a backup employee to boot is a subsidie. But in this case it is the Democratic politicians and the Union bosses who get the payoff with union campaign contributions.

#11     Jul 1, 2011
  2. They sell the risk to their clients in little digestable bite sized pieces. They are parasites.

#12     Jul 1, 2011
  3. Mercor

Mercor

Of course they do....it is about the only way you can offset large risks in the market...Lloyds of London did it for centuries.

Guys like Buffet who own reinsurance companies will sell chunks to public and private unions, teacher unions and old ladies who buy bonds. Just a bunch of parasites.

#13     Jul 1, 2011
  4. Bakinec

Bakinec

Where's unions where you need them?

Here in NYC, dentists make upwards of $1000 for a partial denture yet pay dental technicians $90 max.

Anyone who's going to tell me off, let's reason this through.

Two aspects to this situation.

One, there's more techs than dentists, and it is much easier to become a tech than a dentist (in some cases you don't even need a licenses/training), therefore oversupply of techs.

Two, dental tech is still a very laborious job, and they do 90% of the work for the dentist, while getting only 10%- for it.

When all the dentists are part of an association and profession which is very regulated, so that only a few can get in, you have high salaries and little competition.

Meanwhile, those that actually do most of the dentists' work, are in an unregulated profession which doesn't have a professional association, and they get treated like shit.

Anyone care to explain to me how the dental profession is not a big fucking union in itself?

How the fuck do you get to become the highest paying profession in the country when most of your workers only ruin people's teeth to get a steady flow of clients with govt paid insurance, while fucking over the guys that do most of your work?

What the fuck do you call that? Mafia.

So fuck this shit. Anyone wants to start a dental tech union in NYC?

#14     Jul 1, 2011
  5. bone

bone

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-wartzman-texas-20110703,0,964808.story

NYTimes Opinion Piece;

"For the last few weeks, I've been unable to get a startling statistic out of my head: Since the recession officially ended, Texas has created more than 4 of every 10 new jobs in America.

That's right, Texas: the reddest of red states, home to gun lovers and school textbooks that openly question whether the Founding Fathers intended for the separation of church and state. I am no ideologue. Still, whenever I get political, I tend to tilt reflexively to the left, making the jobs figure a bit disconcerting at first."...

"First, the basics. According to the Dallas Fed, Texas generated 43% of the net new jobs in the U.S. from June 2009 through May 2011 — an enormous share when you consider that the Lone Star State accounts for about 8% of the nation's economy. (Critics, including Maddow, have been quick to note that the unemployment rate in Texas, at 8%, falls in the middle of the pack among the states. Yet total employment is a much more telling and reliable statistic than is the jobless rate.)"...

"At the same time — and this, of course, is the tough part for those on the left to swallow — it is clear that the state's limits on taxes, regulations and lawsuits are contributing to the job machine. "The most important thing I think that's happened to us is tort reform," Fisher, the Dallas Fed president, has said. He added that when John Deere and other companies have decided to hire in Texas, they've been largely driven by steps the state has taken to cap non-economic damages in medical malpractice suits and to make it harder to bring product liability and class-action cases."

"For those whose knee-jerk instinct is to dump on such logic, they would do well here to consider the source. Fisher served in President Carter's Treasury Department and as a high-ranking trade official for President Clinton, and was a two-time Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate. Although the former investment banker is certainly not an ardent leftie, he is no right-wing zealot either."

#15     Jul 3, 2011
  6. Mercor

Mercor

Risk is a big factor in the division of revenue. The tech gets the $90 and walks away.
    The dentist now has $910 left. he needs to pay overhead, all the other employees, insurence, costs to keep and aquire customers, business taxes...etc

If you compare take home pay the tech is getting close to 20% from that job.

#16     Jul 3, 2011
  7. bone, give us some stats on what the pay of those new jobs are. Average pay, how many are making what. For those moving to Texas how much were they making before and after moving to Texas. How does Texas rank with other states on pay, how many middle class workers, upper middle class workers and how many low pay workers.
    What are some stats on living in Texas, poverty rate, education, health care.

#17     Jul 3, 2011
  8. Some crane operators and related trades in New York City make upwards of $500,000 a year in pay,
    -----------------

You could look around and find a university president raking in this kind of dough.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd much rather watch a crane operator in action than a University president in action.:cool:

#18     Jul 3, 2011
  9. it is obvious what happened. Texas has lower taxes than surrounding states so that it's cannibalizing jobs from them. competition between states is bad for the whole nation. also, texas, a red state, just like most red states, receives double the stimulus money, compared to blue states. all this proves is that stimulus creates jobs. lower taxes than neighbours steal jobs. These strategies cannot always work.

#19     Jul 3, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Now you're officially a failed economist as well.

#20     Jul 3, 2011