Cramer wants sec to ban Ultra short etfs

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by S2007S, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Maybe Cramer wants to ban options and futures too? Just because his sheep can handle leverage! Jessh.

#21     Feb 9, 2009
  2. nravo

nravo

I admit that most retail investors will get, eventually, stomped by the leveraged ETFs (long and short) and MFs. Perhaps the SEC should demand more disclosure. I would hate to see the 2x and 3Xers and ultras disappear, though, because if you can get your hands on short shares they have been easy money in a not-so easy market, almost a sure thing, in fact. (There have been previous posts on ET about this.) Yes, there are a few that have short shares available, but many people have caught on to this game and almost all the shares are lent out, sadly. But still, you can write calls, buy puts, all sorts of ways to make money off these day-trading devices. Just going long, or always being in a long mindset, is just plain dumb, like CNBC. You think John Paulson watches and gets ideas from CNBC? C'mon, guys. That's like reading the NY Post for foreign policy analysis. Why take it or Cramer seriously? He's a well-paid clown on an entertainment network. Did you see the very comely Erin Burnett on Meet the Press last week? She's an idiot! It's hilarious!

#22     Feb 10, 2009
  3. How could you get more disclosure with a 40 Act mutual fund or a Registered Exchange Traded Fund?

Its all out there in the open, holdings, investment strategy, risks, etc.

Am I missing something?

Agreed - Jim Cramer is entertainment. He rode a nice wave up while working at GS and exited at the perfect moment. Nothing more, nothing less.

#23     Feb 10, 2009
  4. #24     Feb 10, 2009
  5. I think Cramer has spent too much time with Larry Kudlow. He is getting PBS (Perma Bull Syndrome) ultra short etfs are just another trade. not allowing shorting is nonsence. But I guess all the bulls are saying the bottom is in, go out start buying stuff. New car, a couple jet skis, oh and dont forget to go to Jared an spring for some diamonds:confused:

#25     Feb 11, 2009
  6. On a side note, I really miss Kudlow & Cramer. Those were the good ol' days.

#26     Feb 11, 2009
  7. nravo

nravo

Yeah, Kudlow, Mr. Free (but let's bail out the investment banks) Market. Ron Paul I can at least respect, Kudlow just another Republican hypocrite.

#27     Feb 11, 2009
  8. nravo

nravo

Put a warning like they have on cigarette packs on them. Holding for more than a day can do long-term portfolio damage and even death or something like that. Same thing for the futures ETFs that have to deal with big rolls because of contango.

#28     Feb 11, 2009
  9. What about options and futures? Options have price decay and futures are 10x leveraged and are a risky play to hold overnight as well - why not put a warning on everything?

These are daily beta ETFs and mutual funds, no one has ever said otherwise.

#29     Feb 11, 2009
  10. I love the ultrashorts. If you don't like them, don't trade them.

What the SEC should really be protecting is my eyes and ears from Cramer. Banning Cramer would be the single most useful thing the SEC could do in its history.

I make damn sure he's never on any of my screens but I've walked onto other trading floor and my eyes have been assailed by his image on the screen. I've never been attacked by an ultrashort.

#30     Feb 11, 2009