Cramer On Cover Of Barrons Looks Bad

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by john12, Aug 18, 2007.

1. gaj

gaj

to think i was going to write a letter to barron's. this person basically nails 90% of what i was going to say, but i didn't have numbers with it:

<i> To the Editor:

You missed a golden opportunity to give perhaps the best insight into Jim Cramer's abilities and personality by not discussing his Action Alerts newsletter service, which he has been selling to subscribers through TheStreet.com since 2002. Action Alerts consists of Cramer's own, real-life stock portfolio, which he has placed into a charitable trust.

For around $350 per year, subscribers are given advance notification of the trades Cramer makes in the portfolio so that they may duplicate those trades if they wish. The portfolio typically consists of 25 different stocks, but unlike an index fund, Cramer has the flexibility to increase cash levels if he feels the market will go down. And while he has certain restrictions in this portfolio, such as not being able to trade a stock if he has discussed it publicly within the prior few days, the restrictions have not prevented him from frequently trading the account to the tune of many hundreds of trades over the years.

The result? After 5 years and 8 months, Cramer is lagging the S&P 500 by several percentage points. But this underperformance is clouded by the fact that when Cramer reports his portfolio's overall return vs. the S&P 500, he included dividends in his own return, but removes them from the index. This causes a discrepancy of over

10% that makes it look like he has kept pace very well.

Eric Brosio
    Petaluma, Calif.</i>
    http://online.barrons.com/article/SB118764659839903347.html?mod=article-outset-box

#21     Aug 21, 2007
  2. #22     Aug 26, 2007
  3. Looks like no action will be taken

cnbc wont can cramer and the cover story is all but forgotten

Hopefully another financial source will report cramer's underperformance.

#23     Aug 26, 2007
  4. More than underperformance... Cramer's "portfolio suicide" picks are a given and public information:

http://www.thestreet.com/funds/smarter/891820.html

The "booyah" crowd are obvious newbies and are being led to the slaughter house by Cramer. They will be taken for a ride in the next bear market. CNBC is feeding on those morons these days and its ratings will take a nose dive when these morons lost their shirts left and right. This is when CNBC will can Cramer because he's no longer needed.

#24     Aug 26, 2007