Cramer & Kudlow short gold

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Cutten, Nov 22, 2003.

1. K&C are good for a few laughs, nothing more.

What's happened to Cramer's Action Alerts plus portfolio on real money.com ? Has it ever been in the plus column?

Let's see:

The dollar is tanking

Money supply keeps going up

Commodities in general are moving up

There is a major conflict still going on in Iraq

There are uncertainties around the world

And......Cramer still doesn't believe in gold!! Haha. When Cramer finally gets bullish on gold, then you'll know it's time to sell. Talk about a contrarian indicator.

#11     Nov 30, 2003
  2. gaj

gaj

well, it was down big the first time, when it was suddenly re-started.

then, it was losing good coin until the market bottomed.

a few weeks ago, TSCM sent out a message which stated something close to "cramer's AA portfolio has been up 55% since 10/21/02!". neglecting to mention that, for example, the QQQs have been up significantly MORE than that - and how much it was down before that.

i've read that nearly all of that 55% appreciation came from october - january, and since that time, the portfolio has been up 1 or 2%. i don't have reason to think that's false.

what is funny is, if you look at things a year ago, you can see gold's nice breakout. cramer knocked gold incessantly until february, until that HUGE reversal day, when he said you'd have to buy gold.

#12     Nov 30, 2003
  3. for the bull market expects a powerful yr end rally

I read this on bloomberg wires today

The analysts are starting to catch on,'' said Navellier, whose Reno, Nevada-based firm, Navellier & Associates Inc., oversees $3 billion. ``The third quarter blew everybody away. It caught everybody by surprise. I expect a great year-end rally.

#13     Nov 30, 2003
  4. Cutten

Cutten

One strange thing about this article is that Cramer does not disclose his position on gold. Normally on Realmoney, if someone makes a call, they have to disclose if they have a position in the stock mentioned. But at the end of this article there is no disclosure of any short on gold or ABX by Cramer.

Do you think I should ask Cramer what his actual position is?

#14     Nov 30, 2003
  5. I don't believe he is "allowed" to short anything.

#15     Nov 30, 2003
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Can he buy puts?

If he can't short at all, then IMO he should have disclosed that he was flat in the article. Most people reading that would get the impression that Cramer was short gold himself. And notice how he doesn't mention placing a stop of any kind on the position, or discuss any risk control - he just throws out the recommendation "short gold" as if that's all you need to know.

Given that he's been bearish from below $300, wouldn't some expression of humility be in order? Perhaps some kind of admission that he might, in fact, be wrong? Would it be too much to expect some kind of plan for how to limit loss if his recommendation is a dud, like his previous calls on the yellow metal?

#16     Nov 30, 2003
  7. Is an infamous liar.

#17     Nov 30, 2003
  8. gaj

gaj

can't buy puts / short.

cutten - cramer definitely DID go bullish on gold...at 380
    in february. he stopped getting excited at a much lower price.

#18     Nov 30, 2003
  9. gaj

gaj

cutten - from a long time back (ie. when i was a subscriber) i remember cramer stating that he didn't take stops in positions, which is just plain stupid.

#19     Nov 30, 2003
  10. Cutten

Cutten

You're right - I found this article on his site, where he gets bullish on gold stocks:

http://www.thestreet.com/p//rmoney/jamesjcramer/10066964.html

Published on 5th Feb 2003. Anyone want to hazard a guess at the *exact* day of gold's top earlier this year? :D

#20     Nov 30, 2003