Cramer expects gold to be a big theme in 2010

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Debaser82, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Remember, he recommended this precious metal because it both protects against inflation and market volatility and has turned into a growth investment in its own right. Gold prices rose 23% in 2009, and the continued demand should propel them even higher. While Cramer thinks buying bullion, preferably through an exchange-traded fund like SPDR Gold Shares, is the best gold play, he did offer up a few of his other favorite picks.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34773215

2. snp500

snp500

Cramer may be a bit late on this.

The dollar looks to be firming up and as a result Gold prices should start retreating. I suspect that many funds hedging against inflation may start tapering off their positions as this year unfolds.

The bond markets should also provide a good indication for direction.

3. Cue the collapse

4. ba1

ba1

Cramer? Must be a near term high. Might wait for a 15-20+% pull back before investing for the last train out of Pesoville.

5. bettles

bettles

Oh no, Cramer? I've been long a significant position in IAU since last July. Maybe its time to sell?

Bettles

6. promagma

promagma

Yeah I have been hearing from several friends and family wanting to get on the gold train. The last time I heard from them was about silver when it cracked $20 in 2008.

I say that gold may do well in 2010, but don't expect it to be any less volatile (percentage wise) then the stock market. Also don't expect it to be a good hedge against inflation since the gold price is already 70% above the rate of inflation.

7. What? Are you using the official CPI numbers?

Gold is actually lagging real inflation.

8. promagma

promagma

9. If the dow decides to make a 2nd leg down, then gold will rally higher.

#10     Jan 12, 2010