Cramer bashers: got the balls to fade his pick of the wk DKS before tues earnings?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Epiphany, Aug 15, 2005.

1. What do you think of Cramer's response on Mad Money?

#41     Aug 16, 2005
  2. cramer backing up on the dks call but anybody in the business as long as he has been should know that retailers are problematic in the summer time and you sure dont buy them ahead of earnings in their weakest time of the year.

#42     Aug 16, 2005
  3. liulala

liulala

no big deal, no one is always right.

#43     Aug 16, 2005
  4. I was amused by Ken Wolff's decision to enter the fray by buying DSK around $33.70. So now Cramer and Wolff both have egg on their face. He should know its better to buy the dumpers the day after the fall. Guess he doesn't read Gary Smith's stuff.

#44     Aug 16, 2005
  5. he had a stop at 33.50 right below the low of the day. seemed like a reasonable play even though he was wrong.

Ken Wolff
    Dick's Sporting Goods Update
    8/16/2005 10:03 AM EDT

Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS:NYSE) has bottomed around $33.70. I am going long here as I am expecting a nice climb to around $35 to $36, with a stop at $33.50

Long DKS

#45     Aug 16, 2005
  6. Vhehn, I'm not a RM subscriber, was it Rev Shark that referred to Cramer as a "media star"?

#46     Aug 16, 2005
  7. yes

Another good recent example of this danger was Intel (INTC:Nasdaq), which was also a suggested buy in front of earnings. Yes the report was OK but the stock was extended and the market reaction was negative. Correctly anticipating a good report was not enough. If you want to be a media star recommending buys in front of earnings, it's a good way to stir up attention, but if you want to make money, it generally is a poor bet.

#47     Aug 16, 2005
  8. Remember that guy who bought YHOO calls right before earnings? Lost 90% of his account overnight - near 5k. After seeing how YHOO DELL DKS WMT and a lot of other stocks behaved after earnings, I'll never play earnings the day before.

#48     Aug 16, 2005
  9. dis

dis

Apparently, Cramer's ratings are higher than those of Squawk Box'. NUTS! I'd bet that in the end most people who follow Cramer's advice will lose money.

#49     Aug 16, 2005
  10. Well, if they are buying just on Cramer and not doing anything else, then they deserve to get their ass kicked. The guy who lost $5K which was 90% of his money? Oh, yeah, he should definitely be in the market. However, how do you do an option play with a sub-$6,000 account?

#50     Aug 16, 2005