Cramer at Harvard...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ripley, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Just to give you a basis of where I am coming from. I went to a public high school and my younger brother went to a prep school. We both went to ivy league schools but my brothers education out of HS was much better than mine. His writing and math skills were heads and shoulders above mine when i graduated from HS.

I graduated in my class in the top 2%. He was top 30% in his class.

I plan on going back to school to develop my writing skills as my brothers writing skills and articuation of his thoughts have compelled me to learn how to write. He specifically credits the prep school for his writing abilities.

#31     Feb 2, 2006
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

Sorry, just noticed the bidding, not whether there were actual prints before the action happened. I don't have the capability of going back and posting the bids that were on ISLD or ARCA at the time.

#32     Feb 2, 2006
  3. CONR

CONR

It tapes a half hour before air. People are on hold listening to the show trading his mentions.

#33     Feb 2, 2006

4. I agree with you, there is no choice for a family. It is a must to support our kids and their education.

The networks of day prep schools around metropolitan areas (in the US and abroad) represent the best options of all compared to all boarding schools. Most day college prep schools are geared to accepting the children of former students and this assures a better spectrum of students (the IQ range is broader).

One of the main differences between public schools and college prep private schools is the sourcing of staff. Most private schools souce for majors in the field in which they teach instead of sourcing from teacher education colleges where teaching methodology dominates. The expression "those who can't do, teach" is not an approporiate consideration.

#34     Feb 2, 2006
  5. GGSAE

GGSAE

#35     Feb 2, 2006
  6. I agree with Tradingbug. Top private schools and prep schools are more demanding that your run of the mill public school. The course offerings are typically more advanced and the competition between students is more intense due to a smaller student body. You also eliminate alot of the remedial students in a private/prep school since there are stringent requirements for acceptance.

On the other hand, I have known quite a few individuals who gained acceptance to Ivy League and top Eastern schoools thru the public school system. Typically, they are required to take all honors and AP classes and graduate in the top 5% of their class. Since there will always be a greater number of slacker students in any public school, the class rank is obviously more important. In a small private or prep school with a good reputation, class rank is nowhere near as important.

One point of emphasis that is very rarely discussed is geographical location. For instance, think of some student in Boise, Idaho or Helena, Montana with good marks at your average public school. What do you think his/her chances of gaining acceptance to Princeton or Yale or Harvard might be compared to that same student in Winnetka, IL at New Trier? Odds are there are thousands of applicants in that region applying to those schools, most with the means to pay for it as well. However, in the more remote areas, you probably have a fraction of those applicants applying to the top Ivy's. Odds are that student will get into at least one Ivy League school just to satisfy the geographical balance for that particular school.

So if I had to give advice to a student with the ambition of going to an Ivy, I would say, play a competitive sport, move to a remote region with little academic competition or ambition and then apply to these Ivy's. If you can somehow attract the attention of a particular coach, you will also enhance your odds of acceptance. Back when I applied to the Ivy's, they had a separate pool for athletes (didnt matter if it was a revenue sport either), so long as you met the minimum standards, you had a better shot at acceptance.

#36     Feb 2, 2006
  7. cramer gave these kids an education in cramering. the stock he told them to buy was BKHM. it opened 8.23. it missed earnings ah and is now trading 7.12.
    goodby tuition money.

#37     Feb 2, 2006
  8. Now that is friggin funny.....hope some sorry sap didn't put his student loan in that piece of crap.

#38     Feb 2, 2006
  9. thanks cramer!!! $$$ lol

"January 12 Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Vision Quest It's time to buy the greatest medical stock you've never heard, Jim Cramer told his "Mad Money" TV show viewers Thursday, and that stock is OccuLogix (RHEO:Nasdaq)"

awesome $$$...

when are the lawsuits starting??

#39     Feb 3, 2006
  10. holy cow. it was 12 when he bulled it. 3.50 now. that stock was cramered.

#40     Feb 3, 2006