cpu won't shut down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, May 26, 2003.

1. alanack

alanack

My Pentium 4, Windows XP Home machine won't shut down. I've had this problem before, and ran Spybot, and it removed whatever it was that was running in the background that would keep it from shutting down. This time, running Spybot, AdAware, and doing a complete virus scan using PitStop makes no difference. It still won't shut down. Any ideas? Thanks.

Alan

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

3. 3vian

3vian

I'm not too sure about Windows XP Home, but for Windows XP Pro I would suggest that you boot from the Windows CD and repair windows (via auto repair, not manual). There may be some side effects however, such as the start menu might get wiped clean, so I would goto the Windows Newsgroup and see that they say.

4. TGregg

TGregg

If you go to the newsgroup make sure you clarify what the problem is (ie: Windows seems to hang on the shutting down screen, or you end up with the "It is safe to turn your computer off" screen).

5. I've had the same problem with a P III machine. Erratic on shutting down or restarting, sometimes it will do it, most times it won't, usually takes a number of tries before it hsuts down. It will start up ok if I just unplug it.

6. Many times this is the result of too many background programs running. I have had this problem, and the only way to eliminate it is to stop running any unnecessary background programs that may come with your machine. Dell and Gateway and other manufactures put programs like AOL subscription options or machine maintenance programs in the background.

The place to remove the unnecessary programs is in msconfig. You have to be careful, however. If you do not know what you are doing, you could stop some necessary programs that make your machine and operating system effcient, or capable of running in the first place. Before making any changes to msconfig, I would first make a current "System Restore" setting. That way, if you get into trouble, you can use system restore to restore your computer to the original settings. I would also make a list of startup programs currently checked in msconfig so that you can recheck them if you run into trouble.

Press the "Start" tab, and press "run". Type in "msconfig", and then go to the "Startup" tab. Uncheck any programs that you think is not necessary, press "apply" and "OK". Restart your computer.

Charles

7. lundy

lundy

go to download.com

search for system mechanic.

download and run it.

get rid of all unnecessary startup programs, scan the registry for bad entries.

good luck.

8. alanack

alanack

CPU's are mysterious... I went in to start up, removed a bunch of stuff, and it seemed to make no difference. It still wouldn't shut down. I kept fooling with it, and finally it shut down normally, and will now restart normally, also. But I went into the start up, and all the things I had disabled were still enabled. Nevertheless, the problem seems fixed, at least for the time being, and I'll have all the suggestions and sites mentioned above to refer to if it happens again. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Alan