cpu usage at 100% ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moreagr, Apr 10, 2006.

1. If your system idle process is 80%, that's not bad. That means CPU usage is 20%. Its an inverse relationship.

#11     Apr 10, 2006
  2. Moreagr

Moreagr

thanks guys i'll try it and see if it works

#12     Apr 11, 2006
  3. You don't want to screw with your system idle process. Normal is anywhere from 88 to 98%, at least for me.

One of the quickest and best things you can do is simply restart your computer. I can't tell you how many times that has fixed a problem I was having.

Don-

#13     Apr 11, 2006
  4. TWS runs very reliably on Linux. I find CPU utilization to be at most only a few percent, but I only have a handful of futures contracts displayed.

To minimize TWS CPU utilization (on Windows or Linux).

1. If you are trading from a third party application, minimize TWS. Most of the TWS CPU utilization is in updating the *visible* ticker page. When minimized CPU utilization will be negligible.

2. If you need the ticker page visible, keep the number of symbols on it to a minimum.

3. Avoid the charts.

4. Turn off book trader and see if that makes any difference.

#14     Apr 11, 2006
  5. lundy

lundy

it has specifically to do with software that is either written poorly, or uses opengl.

get a non-oem mother board, this should solve all problems.

#15     Apr 11, 2006
  6. balda

balda

I have P4 2.4Gh

with IB and Ensigh it uses 2-8%

#16     Apr 11, 2006
  7. Normal if it does this for a short time (< 1 sec). If it keeps hogging 47% CPU time, something is definitely wrong.

#17     Apr 11, 2006
  8. Moreagr

Moreagr

hmm i just turned on my comp and opened windows player and it reads 54 cpu usage :confused:

its goes from 35% -60% just for wmplayer.exe :(

#18     Apr 23, 2006
  9. toc

toc

'i have had considerable slow down with my computer because most of the time its near 100%.'

It seems you should open your computer and get it vaccumed and cleaned well. If your fan is noisy already then it is a good sign that it is working real hard to run.

I had same problems, CPU 100% most of the times and when at 100% the fan would be very noisy. It was only be chance that I got it vacummed for $10 when taken computer for one addition and everything is peaceful now with CPU showing 4% range mostly.

I think everyone should get puter vac'ed once a year.......It is our best buddy! just set aside $50 a year for puter treats :)

#19     Apr 23, 2006
  10. opw

opw

And get the Windows cleaned as well.....:D :D :D :D

#20     Apr 23, 2006