CPU fan not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by privateisland, Nov 30, 2003.

1. My 1yr warranty just ran up on my Dell and now I have a problem. My computer sounded more quiet than usual, but I did not think anything of it. I usually just always have it on with no ill effects. Well, today I turned of my computer and it went to a page that said CPU fan not detected push F1 to start. So I shut it off. The question is this a fan onthe motherboard or an auxillary fan. Is my system damaged from no fan (it seems to work). Is leaving the PC on what caused it ? How do I find out what are the bios of the system?
    Thanks.

2. sounds like your cpu fan has failed.get in there with an air can and clean it and see if it will start running. if not they are cheap. just get a new one and stick it in.
    it probably wont hurt to use it short term that way.

3. Thanks for the reply Vhehn. I'll do that right now. If it does not help I'll go to Fry's and pick one up. Thanks again.

4. pspr

pspr

I wouldn't run the computer more than just a few minutes at a time until you get a new CPU fan on it. Take the old one off and with you so you can make sure you get the right one.

Also, you may have to remove the CPU by pulling the release lever if the fan clamps on the CPU. Be VERY CAREFUL and observe Anti-Static proceedures or you will wind up with a bigger problem.

If you can't get it off easily or don't have experience working on your computer components, it would be best to take the whole box in and let a tech replace the fan rather than have a little static discharge damage the CPU or Motherboard.

5. island, it sounds like you are not very
    familiar with hardware issues.

however, replacing a cpu fan requires
    some technical skills. otherwise, you could easily damage your CPU or the mainboard. I would recommend you to bring your machine to your local dealer and have it done.