Cpu 100%?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharp10, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sharp10

sharp10

Hey Volente,
    of all the things you have listed, the only one I haven't done is rebooting the system in safe mode which I will do.
    Everything else has been done.
    Thanks again for the help.

#51     Nov 10, 2006
  2. volente_00

volente_00

Did you analyze the drive first to see how fragmented it was ?

#52     Nov 10, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

Check your Task Manager. Installing lots more RAM that you'd use at any one time is simply a waste of $$$.

Your problems are highly likely to be caused by a software app. Have you tried turning them on one at a time to see if you can identify the culprit? Have you recently installed an upgrade to one of your data/charting/order exection apps?

Your problem *could* be some sort of malware, but more likely an application which needs a fix.

#53     Nov 10, 2006
  4. sharp10

sharp10

Yes,
    Total fragmentation was 11% and file fragmentation was 22%
    Not sure if that's high.

#54     Nov 10, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

That's a little high and should be defragged. However, it's not enough to cause your problem.

#55     Nov 10, 2006
  6. sharp10

sharp10

Thanks Bernard,
    yes, I know which app. is using most of my CPU.
    I was told that if I have a bunch of charts open at any one time, that I might not have enough memory to handle it.

That is why I was asking about the memory. As it stands I have 1GB.

Thanks.

#56     Nov 10, 2006
  7. You are not using Excel DDE link to IB are you? That can cause a lot of CPU backups.

#57     Nov 10, 2006
  8. sharp10

sharp10

No, I'm not Mushin

#58     Nov 10, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

Check your Task Manager for RAM usage so that you know for sure. The issue of "too many charts open" may NOT be a RAM issue at all, but rather "Resources"... if that's the case, there's nothing you can do except replace the app, get it fixed, or divide your trading rig load over 2 or more computer..... each computer has its own Resources, so 2 computers have twice as much as 1, regardless of the RAM involved.

#59     Nov 10, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

That is kind of high and will make the machine hunt and search while doing routine tasks which in turn will take more cpu but not 40-50 %. Has the charting always taken that much or have you just upgraded it recently ? I only run 512 ram and have never had a problem running multiple java based programs at one time.

#60     Nov 10, 2006