Cpi

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Covertibility, Sep 16, 2004.

1. From the big Kahuna itself, the U.S. Department of Labor:
    Bureau of Labor Statistics

Headline Number:
    +0.2% in Nov 2004
    +3.5% since Nov 2003

With out the Food and Energy:
    +0.2% in Nov 2004
    +2.2% since Nov 2003

Teeny tiny inflation compare to what Weimar Germany fans are reporting.

#11     Dec 18, 2004
  2. #12     Dec 20, 2004
  3. #13     Jan 19, 2005
  4. CPI for Jan. 2005

0.1% vs expectations of 0.3%

Core CPI

0.2% vs expectation of 0.3%

Tobacco. leading the charge upward, was up 1.9%

YOY Inflation at 3.0%
    YOY Core rate at 2.3%

Weep for the Wiemar Germany fans.

#14     Feb 23, 2005
  5. yenzen

yenzen

and of course u believe those numbers. As if they measure any sort of relevant consumer inflation. Dream on Mr. Gullibility.

Mr. Zen

#15     Feb 23, 2005
  6. BLS reports the following:

Housing
    CPI Index
    12mo % Chg

2002 + 2.4%
    2003 + 2.2%
    2004 + 3.0%

So can I buy the houses that the government says only rose +8% over the past 3 years? Wait... I forgot that the BLS numbers include the cost of financing. So if mortgage rates go to 3-4%, housing will really be cheap!

Unbelievable.

#16     Feb 23, 2005
  7. LOL! All investments take into account the inflation numbers and you want to play a conspiracy game.

I'm not surprised by a post in this thread (http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45677&perpage=6&pagenumber=1) made by oktiri:

yenzen,
    all your posts are total bullshit , if you have sthg to do, please do....otherwise, stop wasting bandwith with "yes,me too" posts.
    I'm adding you to my dumbass list

#17     Feb 23, 2005
  8. Feb CPI : .4% vs expectations of .3%
    Core CPI: .3% vs expectations of .2%

CPI is up 3 percent in the past year, while the core rate has risen 2.4 percent, the biggest gain since August 2002.

#18     Mar 23, 2005
  9. U.S. March CPI increases 0.6%
    Core rate rises 0.4%, the biggest increase since Aug. 2002

The consumer price index has risen 3.1% in the past 12 months, compared with 3% in the 12 months ending in February. Core prices, which exclude food and energy prices, have risen 2.3% in the past 12 months, down from a three-year high of 2.4% a month ago.

------

A line from the Weimar days, guess who said it:

"The government calmly goes on printing these scraps of paper because, if it stopped, that would be the end of the government. Because once the printing presses stopped - and that is the prerequisite for the stabilization of the mark - the swindle would at once be brought to light. Believe me, our misery will increase. The scoundrel will get by. The reason: because the State itself has become the biggest swindler and crook. A robbers' state!…If the horrified people notice that they can starve on billions, they must arrive at this conclusion: we will no longer submit to a State which is built on the swindling idea of the majority."

#19     Apr 20, 2005
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Because F&E is so volatile. Somebody gets nervous about oil and bammo it's up ten bucks a barrel. Then it comes back down, it's tough to think that some speculative boom should influence the CPI numbers.

But I've always thought they should include some sort of MA for F&E. And besides, eventually F&E inceases (or energy, anyway) show up in everything else.

#20     Apr 20, 2005