Cox should be hanged for X the uptick rule

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by liulala, Dec 11, 2008.

1. every daytrader was levering there little accounts back in 2001 before they put in place the patten day trader rules.

yes there are 10x more hedgefunds and many much more leverage/leverage in the banks.

on a side note can someone explain to me how say the skf and ultra shorts increase the volitility significally? i mean volume on the market is like what 4-5 billion shares a day. skf only does 30 mil a day.

#51     Dec 11, 2008
  2. =================
    Congrats surviving the WTC,Landis82 .

Sure you are probably right on final 70 minutes or 7 minutes;
    not being all natural sellers.

But[ last uptrend] & this bear has much more volume than last one;
    & would rather see it drop 200 points last 7 minutes ,than go up
    ============================================= 200 points last 7 minutes in a bear market. So, no doubt more leveraged funds in this bear, than last bear.

And i have used quote ''free markets for free men'' not so much an ad for one place;
    but a marketplace fee of silly micro-managed rules especially .:cool:

#52     Dec 11, 2008
  3. liulala

liulala

The official SEC investigation on Cramer confirmed that he has no wrong doing. There are multiple charges against Cramer over the years, but all dismissed.

#53     Dec 12, 2008
  4. liulala

liulala

I am not talking about Cramer's stock picks which is subject to furthur debate. But on the issue of uptick, Cramer is clearly much clever than the goverment.

#54     Dec 12, 2008
  5. there has been multiple charges alleged against Elliot spritzer but all where dismissed also.

You guys really cant mock the sec and then say the sec has dismissed all allegations against Jim cramer therefore he is innocent

the sec coulnt find a 50 billion dollar fraud via Mr. Madoff

#55     Dec 12, 2008
  6. It's exploitable by daytraders as well, that's how I was taught to trade when I started.

#56     Dec 12, 2008
  7. LOL yeah ok. You obviously do not trade.

#57     Dec 12, 2008
  8. Bingo!

Something else to note, uptick rule had no effect on tech burst and the subsequent sell-off into 2002. Strong down moves, very strong, especially with traders hitting down shorts and setting off stops.

#58     Dec 12, 2008
  9. Your understanding of this issue is so bad that I don't even know where to start.

Yeah, ETF's are not subject to the "uptick" rule. Duh. But try turning your brain on for a moment and take one more step in the thought process and ask you just HOW do the Ultra-Bear ETF's replicate the short portfolio of the actual index?

#59     Dec 12, 2008
  10. With all due respect to Mr. O'Malley, while you might be impressed by "pop" financial news media I couldn't careless who was in TRADER MONTHLY.

By the way, weren't you the guy that was bitterly complaining about how you commuted into the City only to find that your beloved prop firm where you trade at had CLOSED its doors for trading on a Friday, totally unbeknownst to you?

Talk about putting yourself into a "dumbass" position . . .

This discussion has nothing to do with the point that I made in an earlier post ( and most here on this thread were not able to comprehend because their reading comprehension is so poor ) that the VELOCITY of the market ( not "volatility" ) has gotten to such a heightened degree ( as compared to even electronic trading "age" standards ) that people are unable to cognitively "process" the quotes that they are seeing on their screens, and often think that they may have missed some sort of news announcement that hit the marketplace.

If you want to trade commodities, feel free to do so. Commodities do not have shareholders, they do not have board of directors, they do not have employees, and they have nothing to do with an instrument that involves publicly controlled entities. No "uptick" required. I should know, I traded them on the floor at #4 WTC for many years.

Make no mistake about it.
    Cox is an idiot.

He bans the shorting of financial stocks for a period of time ( which is totally ignorant in my opinion because it removes the hedge of convertible bond holders and thus removes liquidity from the corporate bond market ) and yet Cox refuses to bring back the "uptick" rule that worked quite well for many many years.

Think the ETF "lobby" wasn't having a few meetings with Cox back in 2006 about paving the way for eliminating the "uptick" rule?

Think again.

#60     Dec 12, 2008