covered options

Discussion in 'Options' started by ptrjon, Dec 26, 2008.

1. you are right, my mistake.

I still don't get how writing the call option provides protection or insurance.

#31     Dec 30, 2008
  2. I actually live in the EU so I am not well versed on US fiscal policy.

I was basically refering to lowering the purchase price. It has nothing got to do with taxes.

ie. buy stock at $20. Write call for $1 premium. The stock has essentially cost me $19.

#32     Dec 30, 2008
  3. spindr0

spindr0

Answered only as an accountant would and could answer :)

Let's make these guys be technically correct.
    Net investment.
    Yeh, that's the trick. :D

#33     Dec 30, 2008
  4. Fair enough, Spin. Have a Happy New Year.

4Q

#34     Dec 30, 2008
  5. spindr0

spindr0

The protection is the amount of the premium received. The deeper the call is ITM, the larger the premium (intrinsic) and the lower the risk is. However, the more the call is ITM, the lower the time premium will be (extrinsic). Risk and reward go hand in hand. In essence, you're giving up potential profit to limit the risk by going deeper ITM. Does that make sense now?

And HNY 2U2 4Q

#35     Dec 30, 2008
  6. My use of the term “cost basis” does not apply to taxes , rather it gives me a idea of the net cost of my stock that include option write premiums so I can determine where to write future options as well as how much I made on the stock when I get called or sell it outright.

#36     Dec 31, 2008
  7. Good explanation. As I previously mentioned: going one handle ITM ($60.00 stock, JAN 10 55 CALL with premium of $9.40), you get optimal time value ($4.40 premium for the year; that's a 7.3% return right there if the stock finished ITM) and decent downside protection (16%). Plus, since I like dividends, I will receive a year's worth of dividends. So, suppose the dividend yield is 3%, the stock finishes in the money, and I received 7.3% time premium. That's a pretty good return. If the stock finishes below $60 (16% drop), then I lose a point for every tick below $50.6. But, I get to keep the entire premium and the dividends. And, if the stock's fundies are still good, I can buy more and write more LEAP calls. Again, I would do this with a stock like JNJ (long-term hold, buying on pullbacks). The pullbacks could simply trigger new buys with every 16% drop.

#37     Jan 1, 2009