covered call profit and loss question

Discussion in 'Options' started by IronFist, Oct 10, 2011.

1. spindr0

spindr0

If money isn't credited to my account when I sell something, how come they take money out when I buy something ??? .:confused: :D :p

Whenever you sell something, the proceed are credited to your account. Doesn't matter whether it's an option or a stock, etc. Conversely, whenever you buy something, the proceeds are deducted from your account. Transactions result in a change in your cash balance.

Margin and SMA balance may be affected.

Account value is not affected unless the value of the underlying changes

#51     Oct 11, 2011

2. Your point regarding your 20% gain requires us to believe that you took the fictional $20,000 to $23,793 on page 1, post 1 of your journal. Beyond that leap of faith is the problem that you ended the journal at $22,110.

So you don't understand how a credit balance is generated nor that a loss is not a profit.

#52     Oct 11, 2011
  3. First of all, the journal isn't ended. Second of all, if you look at my most recent update, and look at the picture attached, you will see the most recent value was 23,286..not 22,110 for someone so caught up in semantics I would have at least assumed you got this right, but I was wrong as I can be from time to time.

Third of all, the market has jumped 330 points since my last update and my live value as of right now is 23,925. I can understand you think the 20,000 is fictional, that's fine.

So my last statement remains, which is also prevelant in the picture I am referring to in my last update. In 13 weeks I am beating my benchmark by 11%.

#53     Oct 11, 2011
  4. Numbnuts, you started the journal at a fictional $23,793. There is no proof of any of this, but you certainly can't keep your BS straight as the first journal entry showed $23,793

So WTF is the 20% gain from the start of this journal? Your own BS puts you in a loss. Further, there is no $22,110 in your excel snapshot.

#54     Oct 11, 2011
  5. I actually said YTD, not start of journal.

And I see you didn't comment on any of my other comments, such as my last update was 23,286 not the 22,110 you grabbed out of thin air.

#55     Oct 11, 2011
  6. Of course the $22,110 is nowhere to be found in the spreadsheet. More bullshit, different thread.

#56     Oct 11, 2011
  7. As I said, I can understand your problem with believing that I started the portfolio with 20,000 as I believe you think everyone is lieing. The only fact I can prove to you is that I am beating my benchmark by 11% in 13 weeks. So instead of saying I have a 20% gain YTD (which I do) I will say I am beating my benchmark by 11% in 13 weeks, and we can revisit this performance issue you are having several months down the road when my real time trades give you enough confidence to trust my results.

#57     Oct 11, 2011
  8. Yes, I STARTED the portfolio, not STARTED my journal. Two different unrelated events.

#58     Oct 11, 2011
  9. I didn't say it's no where to be found, I said you grabbed it out of thin air claiming it was my most recent statement, as you said I ENDED my journal with that value, when actually there is a more recent value of $23,286

#59     Oct 11, 2011
  10. You're tripping over your own bullshit. Start of the journal was nearly $24k, but you show a $22k balance on the last page. Then you produce a spreadsheet but the prior week's $22k isn't shown in the sheet.

#60     Oct 11, 2011