covered call credit spread? GE

Discussion in 'Options' started by prc117f, Feb 28, 2009.

1. spindr0

spindr0

You've turned your long position into a conversion.

Just curious... what was your reasoning for doing this?

#21     Mar 2, 2009
  2. spindr0

spindr0

Let's see if I have this right. In your earlier post you suggest buying deep OTM puts (the March 5's) is a good way for the OP to hedge his way out of his large loss on GE. And today you are trying to convince me that making $150 on 50 March 2.5 puts going from $.02 to $.05 accomplished that as the OP's position lost $2K today?

Even if you could have executed at those prices, it's no more than a good trade for a speculator (in terms of percentage profit not in terms of good trading). That's not good hedging and it's lousy money management. However, you are free to believe that it is.

#22     Mar 2, 2009
  3. Subdude

Subdude

Your comments are laughable.

1. Yes, you could have executed at those prices - just look at Monday's range for the contract.
    2. I would define lousy money management as incurring 50% unrealized loss in the first place. A tiny fraction of that recovered by some "clever" spread writing strategy is negligible. I merely pointed out a better trade, given what we have to work with today.

3. Participating in the "upside" could have begun for him at a much better price point than $15. Do you not think the underlying has been going down for the last - oh, I don't know - 6 weeks???

Hey, I know of a better example - let me buy BAC at $20, wait for it to drop to $4 and start writing calls as I'm sitting on the position awaiting the "upside". That's what I call money management.

#23     Mar 2, 2009
  4. prc117f

prc117f

I felt a bit bearish on opening :) I saw a pretty wide hole between the call short and the long put of 7.50 Right now my long put and my short call are profitable.

GE did hit down hard today so it was nice to have the call and put in place.

Lots of bearish news, the GE CDS spreads getting pretty wide with upfront required. etc..

I felt the downside was a more risky end than potential big upswing. 19 days of time value.

I will be evaluating further tomorrow and keeping an eye on things.

Unfortunately I wish I was thinking all this stuff the few days prior to last friday :) I guess you learn from your mistakes and figure out things etc..

Anyhow Been reading up on options I should have been learning more about options, pretty powerful stuff.

I got a few books I ordered in.

Anyhow thanks for the insight, trying to think outloud.

#24     Mar 2, 2009
  5. You no longer have any GE position. What you have now is PIN RISK, and you will neither make nor lose money on your 24-lots of a forward conversion.

Mark

#25     Mar 2, 2009
  6. That's quite a comment from someone who thinks that anyone could have bought options at the bid price, just because it traded at that price. And ditto for selling at the ask price.

And it's amazing that you believe th earn ose trades earned $150. Who is this broker who charges zero commissions for two 50-lots?

Mark

#26     Mar 2, 2009
  7. Subdude

Subdude

I am constantly amazed by how many people here choose to pick a fight over the dumbest shit. Okay, you got me there - IB would charge $25 for this roundtrip trade, and $150 would be reduced to $125. Yes, one could have bought it at $0.02, if not Monday, then Friday for sure.

Your point???

#27     Mar 2, 2009
  8. My point is that I think your referring to SPIN's comments as laughable was pretty silly.

I'm not looking to pick a fight.

Mark

#28     Mar 3, 2009
  9. Subdude

Subdude

And the best advice award in this thread goes to... (drum roll) ME! I know you have a cash account, prc, but man - how much of this brutality can you possibly take?

#29     Mar 3, 2009
  10. spindr0

spindr0

You're like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, subdude. Squeeze here and out pops an answer over there which has nothing to do with the discussion.

I get it. Your ideas are good (to you) even if they have nothing to do with what's asked or are even relevant or practical given the OP's situation. LOL...

#30     Mar 3, 2009