Country-based Gold Reserves

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ljyoung, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ScottD

ScottD

ft, I don't believe your statement is correct.

You may be thinking of the following stat: Roughly 90% of the gold above ground has been mined since the start of the California gold rush in 1848.

Un-mined gold appears on the books of mining companies as ‘reserves’ (to the extent it is known about with reasonable confidence, and can be extracted economically).

Roughly 40% of the total of gold above ground remains as un-mined reserves.

In addition, some amount of gold has not yet been discovered and therefore is not yet counted in the reserves.

#11     Sep 25, 2008
  2. I also wondered about the statement.

#12     Sep 25, 2008
  3. new$

new$

The conspiracy guys point out that Ft Knox has not been audited in decades and rumor has it that the gold is gone. :eek:

#13     Sep 25, 2008
  4. the Ft. Knox - Roswell UFO guys make a living off of these rumors

although I'd like to see a list of serial numbers and weights, but likely will never see it since if any of the bars showed up on the market, the ensuing panic it would cause would be .. well you know..

#14     Sep 25, 2008
  5. clacy

clacy

If the world goes to hell, it's not gold that will be of value, it's tanks, carriers and bunker busters that will be highly valued.

#15     Sep 25, 2008
  6. To wage war, not necessarily effectively (ask Dubya) reuires capital. If paper money isn't worth the paper it's written on, gold might do the trick.

lj

#16     Sep 26, 2008