Countries which do not tax traders' capital gains...

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by OxonianTrader, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I am proud to call myself an American and equally proud to call myself a Greek (I have dual citizenship). But I still would like to avoid that capital gains tax, at least when I first start out.

So if you live in the US for less than 183 days per year, you don't have to pay capital gains taxes?

Now you said that the US taxes your capital gains no matter what country you're trading from. Is the tax lower for those traders than it is for US bound traders?

Thanks

#21     Nov 2, 2003
  2. Well that was extremely helpful. Thanks. Do you know if the UK taxes residents as well as citizens? You know what the tax rate on salary is in the UK? If tax brackets are used, as in the US, do you know what the highest tax bracket is and the lowest? I am considering taking a job in the UK soon but am curious about how much of my salary will be take home pay. For example, if I get a salary of 35,000 pounds, how much of that can I expect to take home and how much of that can i expect to go to taxes? Note that I am a US citizen who will be cleared to stay in the UK by my college. THe clearance should last two years.

Thanks

#22     Nov 2, 2003
  3. Wrong, at least in Belgium. It will depend on the number of trades. So, if you are a daytrader, you will be taxed at the regular income rate.

#23     Nov 2, 2003
  4. Now what about salaried positions in the UK? How are they taxed? If someone signs a contract for 35,000 pounds, how much of that will be take home pay? Please note that the someone (me) would be a temporary resident of the UK while he worked and a US citizen.

Thanks

#24     Nov 2, 2003
  5. This is what you do.......

Set up a charitible trust with you being the controlling party....forget the legal term.....trustee, conservator or executor....not beneficiary though!

Pay yourself a salary (a high one) when you die the millions go to the charitie(s) and you avoid the kids battling over your weath while your alive and dead.

Since your working for the trust and it is a charitable trust perhaps your salary is a reimbursement and not taxed too...

Michael B.

Could anybody that knows more about this comment.....please contribute....sorry to get off topic but the US is the best tax wise imho.

Michael B.

#25     Nov 2, 2003
  6. Banjo

Banjo

7. Stop by Singapore, if you are open to living in Asia. You can icorporate for about US$1,000 all-in, and the annual accounting/reporting is about half that. You and your spouse can draw a salary from the entity, after which tax rates are about 10%. Note this also helps considerably if you are also filling US taxes on a WW basis.

I'm sure penny-wise there are better set-ups but for expats in Asia Singapore is quite good. Also city is very clean and crime-free.

#27     Nov 2, 2003
  8. ...don't you mean freedom free?

#28     Nov 2, 2003
  9. Helpful info at CIA World Factbook

#29     Nov 2, 2003
  10. Don't get me started ... at least here the drug dealers are executed, the bad guys don't carry guns, and the ho's stay in the brothels. I'd rather saw off a limb than return to the States anytime soon.

Amerca's concept of 'freedom' has gotten so warped over the decades, it is quite sad. Don't mean to open a can of worms ... I'm not interested in a debate.

#30     Nov 2, 2003