Countless Joseph A. Bank Clothiers commercials on CNBC:

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Rearden Metal, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Most of you have probably noticed the massive advertsing blitz JOSB is currently conducting on CNBC. You also know that the purpose of airing endless (and very annoying, in this case) ads on CNBC is all about selling JOSB stock- not selling clothing.

The natural question therefore, is: Why are they devoting so much money to pumping their own stock?

Two possible answers: They are about to announce a secondry offering. Or- They want to merge/buy out a competitor (like CBK, MW, KCP, PERY, etc.) using JOSB stock as currency.

Either way, that makes JOSB a pretty good short candidate.
    Ideally, combined with buying a sector ETF/mutual fund, to complete a pair trade. Shorting Avaya back when they endlessly pumped their own stock in CNBC commercials would have worked out incredibly well. Can anyone think of other, similar examples?

Thoughts?

2. I like the way you think but couldn't it be that JOSB is just trying to hit their target market before the holidays?
    I do remember the Avaya commercials, seems like most of the big advertisers on that channel get hit.
    Hmmm what other companies? Let me think about it for a while.

When I worked at MER I was a Brooks Brothers man myself but I know my Father is a big fan of JOSB because he likes to order from the catalog and he likes the fit. He even buys some of his casual stuff from them now. I've bought a few shirts from there and I think I bought a pair of J&M shoes a few yrs ago, but the suits didn't seem very high in quality.

BTW, do you still have that Vette? If so, any new pics of it?

3. That guy in the JOSB commercials looks like a yuppie dickhead.

They opened a new store in my neighborhood two weeks ago....I have yet to see a single person (besides employees) in there.

4. Yes, you want it? Cheap. I only use my other car.

Honestly, it was a dumb impulse buy. I always loved how the old Dirk Diggler vettes looked...until I owned one. It may have been a fast, high performance vehicle back in the 70's, but not by today's standards.

BTW, do you have a photographic memory to remember that?

It takes talent to fake that much enthusiasm. Unless he's actually getting head from some hottie while reading his lines... which is entirely possible.

5. Well, I was interested in buying a fun car for next summer but you just talked me out of a classic Vette. :)
    My Father bought a 1988 Mazda RX-7 drop top black on black. Pretty sweet ride. I'm looking around for something like that. I want something cheap and fun.

I don't think I have a photographic memory, but I do have a weird sense of recall. I remember a lot of shit. Last Friday I ran into someone in a bar. He was a bartender at a place I went to often back in the late 90's. He remebered my name too but out of nowhere I asked, "How's Emma?" He couldn't believe that I was asking about his daughter who he must have mentioned to me once about 7 years ago. Lol.
    And btw the corvette you have has that cool black/grey/maroon color scheme right? :)

Rock on.

6. bighog

bighog Guest

would that hottie be a man or a boy?.....:D

The world is not the same these days, hottie can be and is more diverse for certain fellas.....:D . but not for me, i still admire a great looking classy lady....Nothing more pleasing to the eyes than that....:) :) :) :p

7. :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :cool:

8. RM,
    Nice work. Hope you reaping the rewards $$$$.

uptik2000