Counties are so desperate they choose gravel over asphalt

Discussion in 'Economics' started by misterno, Feb 10, 2011.

1. bozwood

bozwood

I live in Michigan and it was pretty obvious this was going to start happening. However, I heard a few years ago that the state funds roads based on length of road and not use of the road. Typical gov't waste and a stupid way to do it; hence the result.

#11     Feb 10, 2011
  2. bone

bone

That stimulus money was a Democratic machine pay-off in-kind for state-approved construction unions (bidders list) and public service union employees of all kinds. They did not lose jobs. The work didn't necessarily get done because as Obama admitted later there were no such things as 'shovel ready projects', but rest assured the union members always got their paychecks. Hell, they got raises here in Illinois.

#12     Feb 10, 2011
  3. +1

#13     Feb 10, 2011
  4. Property values have dropped. Property taxes still go up based on at least the inflation rate. Yet no money to pave a local road so they tore it down to gravel. They recently built new schools that would save money they said and lost half the student population, parents moved to wherever a job might be.

#14     Feb 10, 2011
  5. bone

bone

How much do you suppose the left wants? 75% ? 90 % ?

They already take half. Fed, State, County, Local. What exactly is fair ?

FU

I will quit and get on the dole like everyone else. Welfare nanny state. Suicide pact.

#15     Feb 10, 2011