Countertrend ES System

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ghetto808, Feb 8, 2008.

Would you trade it?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Test it with real money and see if the results match

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Mindzio

Mindzio

System equity looks good. Unfortunately system Avg. Trade Net Profit is $22.86.
    In my opinion system with Avg. Trade Net Profit <50$ is not tradable.

To avoid slippage using limit orders you can use TS future: "replace strategy limit orders with market orders x seconds after the strategy has filled order"

#11     Feb 27, 2008
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i think you would have a hard time in the real world with that system. work with it and get 40 - 50 a trade out of it at least.

#12     Feb 27, 2008
  3. I use a counter-trend system but it's not automated. It sounds as though this one is but I didn't look at it that closely. I can tell you this.....the disadvantage to using a counter-trend system is you are peeing into the wind. Your triggers have to be placed very strategically. One mis-step can really hurt you. The advantage is you aren't trying to "catch" a move. There is no guess work involved because you are trading on facts -- i.e. what has already happened, not what you think or want to happen. You should probably give this a try but I would trade it in a simulator first. Don't ever put real money into something unless it's tried and tested.

Also, if you really want to capture the power of a counter-trend system add money management to it. I don't scale up, I scale down but, and this is a very big but, I have very strict risk limits that I will not exceed while scaling down. You gotta have iron clad discipline to trade a method like this. Def. not the easiest method out there but it removes the problems associated with trying to time the market.

#13     Feb 27, 2008
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

and so this is why i hang out in trading forums, never have i thought (scale down not up) of this. mb

#14     Feb 28, 2008