"Coultergeist" Hammered By McCain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Landis82, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Meghan McCain slams Ann Coulter:

"To make matters worse, certain individuals continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes about Republicans. Especially Republican women.

Who do I feel is the biggest culprit? Ann Coulter.

I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity. I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time. But no matter how much you or I disagree with her, the cult that follows Coulter cannot be denied. She is a New York Times best-selling author and one of the most notable female members of the Republican Party. She was one of the headliners at the recent CPAC conference (but when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much).

Coulter could be the poster woman for the most extreme side of the Republican Party. And in some ways I could be the poster woman for the opposite. I consider myself a progressive Republican, but here is what I don’t get about Coulter: Is she for real or not?

Are some of her statements just gimmicks to gain publicity for her books or does she actually believe the things she says? Does she really believe all Jewish people should be “perfected” and become Christians? And what was she thinking when she said Hillary Clinton was more conservative than my father during the last election? If you truly have the GOP’s best interests at heart, how can you possibly justify telling an audience of millions that a Democrat would be a better leader than the Republican presidential candidate? (I asked Ann for comment on this column, including many of the above questions, but she did not answer my request.)

I am not suggesting that extreme conservatism wasn’t once popular, nor am I suggesting I should in any way be any kind of voice for the party. I have been a Republican for less than a year. Still, even after losing the election, I find myself more drawn to GOP ideals and wanting to fight for the party’s resurgence. And if figureheads like Ann Coulter are turning me off, then they are definitely turning off other members of my generation as well. She does appeal to the most extreme members of the Republican Party—but they are dying off, becoming less and less relevant to the party structure as a whole. I think most people my age are like me in that we all don’t believe in every single ideal of each party specifically. The GOP should be happy to have any young supporters whatsoever, even if they do digress some from traditional Republican thinking."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-03-09/my-beef-with-ann-coulter/

2. OMG! It's all falling apart now!

If Mehgan considers herself a republican, she exemplifies the very problems that the party has.

3. You mean her Size 8 dress size pales in comparison to Rush's fat ass?
    :D

4. Why are you such a hater? Your bigotry is disgusting.

5. In regards to Rush Limbaugh . . . I hope you have the intelligence to see the IRONY in your post.

20 years of hate-filled moronic mockery, and a man that hopes that the USA tanks.

Your lack of intelligence is appalling.

6. I think Limbaugh would be moved to tears if he knew you were defending his butt size. Your gallantry would not have gone unrewarded.

7. So now we are being lectured by some spoiled brat little rich girl who has been a republican for a year? Who has her nose in a snit because conservatives didn't support her father after years of backstabbing from him? Maybe the question that she should be asking is how could the republican party possibly nominate a guy who would be so bad as to lead a prominent conservative to favor Hillary over him?

Instead of trying to glom onto Coulter's popularity, maybe little meghan could ask why dear old dad even ran for the nomination if he didn't plan on trying to win? He wasted the summer attacking his own supporters for doing what he should have been doing, namely pointing out how radical and extreme Obama was. Then, he pulled a grandstand play with the bailout, only to take a kneeldown and meekly support it. Game frickin' over, man.

What these spoiled brats don't seem to understand is that people like Coulter and Rush are not part of the republican party. The party insiders and lobbyists have convinced themselves that they will never win another election unless they adopt democrat-lite policies, depsite the overwhelming evidence that they lose when they adopt such policies. Coulter and Rush are conservatives first, republicans by process of elimination. they would happily support democrats if they were conservative. Even if meghan mccain is absolutely correct, that following Coulter will doom republicans, it is irrelevant to Coulter. Her goal is to advance conservatism, not be a lackey for a bunch of political hacks.

8. Do you think that the conservative element of the Republican party is about to fracture into a viable third party?
    I think we are witnessing the birth of a third party that intendeds to encompass repub conservatives, independent conservatives and what's left of dem conservatives. This will not pass as some independent party, but a completely new political animal. What will make or break this effort is their ability to appeal to the gigantic non-voting population. If they can find a way to get those people off the couch and into the voting booth we could see a watershed event in traditional politics.
    The downside is that the Limbaugh and Coulter types are the face of that party. That will have to change.

9. Do two wrongs make a right?

10. I am not defending Limbaugh. I am addressing the hatred and bigotry of Landis82. I would expect a little more maturity from some one like in his 50s. Do you constantly engage in confrontations in your real life Norman?

#10     Mar 18, 2009