could they actually ban ultra etfs?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by jessica, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Sounds like you are quoting Cramer. Its not that easy - Jim Cramer is just trying to push his own agenda which is total BS and he should be put in jail for manipulating the way he does.

#11     Feb 6, 2009
  2. chisel

chisel

Sure it could happen. If the mkt. goes down far enough, the pols will need a scapegoat. The leveraged ETFs won't be the only thing banned...

#12     Feb 6, 2009
  3. sumosam

sumosam

i trade horizon beta pro...most who trade are, by far, institutions and financial advisors. Lots of money to be made here as this and most other employ an options/futures stratedgy.

The volatitity was higher in 1987 than it has been recently if you use the VIX.

To me, Cramer is a negative indicator...he is a comedy show you watch after a few beers.

Remember his call on Bear?

#13     Feb 6, 2009
  4. zdreg

zdreg

this is the reality check. if goldman wants its banned it will be banned. if goldman has a reason for its continued existence it will continue.

#14     Feb 6, 2009
  5. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

the gov't bans smoking pot, man the gov't can ban anything.

you know what a i mean. if the powers to be want the market to go up they will make it go up.

market manipulation isn't illegal.

trading in the financial markets is not a right but a 'PRIVILLEGE'

#15     Feb 6, 2009
  6. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

market manipulation is illegal if it's harmful to the market.

margins are the market for a reason. you need capital to short or it's free money for institutional shorts. like you need money to go long.

shorting sucks liquidity from the market. liquidity is what the market doesn't have. the float or market is so small it doesn't take a lot of money short stocks or keeps stocks down.

#16     Feb 6, 2009
  7. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

iwith enough capital ,anyone can control the price or what you call market manipulation. market makers or brokers have one advantage they can short naked or get shares from the company to sell more so shorting is a lot easier to make money

#17     Feb 6, 2009
  8. Banff01

Banff01

ETFs have nothing to do with market manipulation. As people take both long and short positions in all ultra ETFs any argument against them is baseless. If SEC moves to ban these instruments it's the beginning of the end of the free markets in the US.

#18     Feb 6, 2009
  9. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

man, the gov't regulators could force all short positions to cover. and no margin in shorting.

#19     Feb 6, 2009
  10. Hopefully those stupid F***** things are banned.

SO people with sufficient capital will trade the futures instead.

"NOW THERE'S AN ETF DESIGNED TO RISE WHEN OIL FALLS....THE INVERSE OIL ETF!"

It's F&&&&&&& retarded.

Don't you guys get it?

Just trade the futures if you're suitable.

If you're not suitable stick with NO leverage. Why not? B/c you're not suitable!

Actually, I'm fibbing...I don't like excessive, capricious regulation.

Some of these etfs ARE quite dumb though.

=-=Anonymous Futures trader!
    :D

#20     Feb 6, 2009