Could really use some advice please

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Ansare, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Your falling for his silly shit. This guy is playing the same game in the thread below and another thread.

#31     Mar 6, 2009
  2. I'm sorry but I disagree. I do not like glittering generalities in trading they are a distraction. Your statement:
    “Only display and pay attention to that information which enables you to enter, manage and exit your immediate trade”

does not tell me how to trade. Try running any business in this world much less trading and see how far you get with one-liners.

I trade some longer positions. When my automated system went short apple from August 19 2008 until October 13, 2008 in Tradestation that dam open profit P/L was in my face every day. It would drive any one crazy and not just me. Percentages kept me in that trade until the end. If I had used the dollars in my performance reviews I would have taken the money and ran.

Regards
    RabbitOne

#32     Mar 6, 2009
  3. I learned this a long time ago and this is some seriously good advice. Watching P&L does not in any way help you make money. Trading your plan ALL day, without profit goals is the way to go. You've got to hit those HUGE days, otherwise your going to cut your profit way too short.

#33     Mar 6, 2009
  4. He most likely is referring to your position sizing which is too large. Keep it simple and stick to 2%.

#34     Mar 6, 2009
  5. As I said ...
    'I do not know whether the next comment is of use to you or not.
    If not then just dump it.'

regards
    f9

#35     Mar 6, 2009
  6. just filling in the morning

regards
    f9

#36     Mar 6, 2009
  7. Ansare

Ansare

A lot of great ideas in this thread. Gave me plenty to think about.

Thanks to all who took the time.

A.

#37     Mar 6, 2009
  8. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

Never let others influence your thoughts!

This is one of the big mistakes that all traders make.

#38     Mar 6, 2009
  9. acrary

acrary

I just ran the numbers through a trade simulator. At 5% of portfolio risked per-trade and the win/loss stats given, the numbers are correct. To achieve only 1% return per-week given 16+ trades per-week and the win/loss stats, you'd be trading much smaller size (certainly less than .5% per-trade which is a factor of 10 smaller than you posted).

Simple math ex.

Account size 100,000

5% = 5,000

8 losers at 5,000 each = -40,000
    8 winners at 10,000 each = 80,000

net gain 40,000 with no mmgt or 40% per-week

How could you only net 1% per-week given the numbers you posted?

#39     Mar 11, 2009
  10. Ansare

Ansare

OK, fair. Except my stats have been kept from when I started with 1% of account size and worked my way up slowly. Should have explained that and didn't.

What I don't understand, though, is where do you come up with 5k per loss and 10k per win. Just because each trade is 5% of account size, how do you assume those numbers per loss or win? 100,000 acct I'm talking making 1k a week.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here. Is so, it's winging over my head.

In the meantime, I have gone through much of Trading in the Zone. Great book and raised a lot of relevant (and familiar) points.

Also, the more I thought about my question the more I realized that without knowing people's personal situation, there IS no "right" answer. Too many variable for there to be just one right way.

I do agree I have to stay in the game longer or risk greatly reducing potential gains.

#40     Mar 11, 2009