Could really use some advice please

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Ansare, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ansare

Ansare

No biggie, you were trying to help and I appreciate it. Thank you.

#11     Mar 5, 2009
  2. Ansare

Ansare

Well, then, let me humbly suggest you check out the website. Twenty years ago or so while I was dealing with my mid-life crisis I found the Self-Realization Fellowship and it did more to get my head on straight than anything else.

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/

#12     Mar 5, 2009
  3. bespoke

bespoke

I mean no disrespect, but you need to man the fuck up.

If you have positive expectancy than you have to trade it no matter what. I often lose hundreds in the last hour which bugs me but I don't turn off my ATS because I know at the end of the month I'll still have positive expectancy that last hour.

It bugs me but I'll forget about it 10 minutes after the close and it leaves no lingering bitterness. You'll be the same eventually.

Quitting after reaching goals is such a bad idea. You most likely hit your goal because favorable market conditions were present for your strategy. Why stop? I bet you wouldn't stop if you were even and the market conditions needed for your strategy weren't there (which is when you should actually stop).

edit: listen to acrary. man knows what he's talking about

#13     Mar 5, 2009
  4. Ansare

Ansare

Appreciate your response, thank you, but interestingly, as I increased investment size from 1% to 5% over a period of a year, my feelings about holding onto profits did not suddenly emerge. They were always there, regardless of size.

#14     Mar 5, 2009
  5. Interesting ... I would not have picked that from your opening post.

regards
    f9

#15     Mar 5, 2009
  6. Hey Ansare, I'm in the boat your in, I'm consistently profitable now but still not fluid, if you know what I mean. But it isn't worrying me. I've been skilled and successful in other fields and I'm thinking this works similar in regards to mastering the skill. In my other business's I reached a stage where I could make a living but I knew I wasn't there yet, I made mistakes and some wrong decisions. Experience took care of all that, eventually after doing the same thing over and over and going over my success and failure and learning from them I became skilled and competent. And that is the way I look at this business, takes time and practice and work. Nothing beats experience, except maybe an experienced person helping you along the way.
    You've probably read it already but Mark Douglas book "Trading in the Zone" is a big help for me.

#16     Mar 5, 2009
  7. Ansare

Ansare

You know better than most the challenges applying the spiritual to the mundane.

#17     Mar 5, 2009
  8. Ansare

Ansare

Many thanks, bigarrow, and continued success in all you do.

Your book suggestion is interesting because it's the next one on my list when I finish Carter's "Mastering The Trade." Thanks, again.

#18     Mar 5, 2009
  9. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

It is all a load of crap!

You trade when the opportunity is there.

Setting targets is a mugs game!

You must know when to trade big, and when to trade small.

Small losers are your best friends!

Big winners are your reward for having your best friends!

Ignore all the crap in the general public arena, know and do what you must, and then you will easily take money from other traders, especially the seventh sons of the seventh sons :D

#19     Mar 5, 2009
  10. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

Another big misconception about trading!

Van Twerp and his "patented" Positive Expectancy is just one big load of rubbish!

It is just more of the same old crap churned out for suckers to cling to!

Not one person on this site has come near mentioning the obvious, and the reason is simple, it is because,

It is so obvious no one can see it, but a very small handful of extremely experienced and level headed traders!

Not even the market makers know what the obvious is :D

#20     Mar 5, 2009