Could my computer be Hijacked ?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Joab, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Joab

Joab

I have reason to believe that my ex girlfriend has somehow placed spyware on my machine (I downloaded several word documents from her recently) because she has got her hands on some pictures that were only in my pictures folder.

A. How can I know if there is spyware on my machine.

B. What can I do about this ?

Thanks

2. Do you have a physical or mental handicap that prevents you from using Google?

Your welcome.

3. Joab

Joab

I will remember that if you ever you ask me to share any of my trading experience with you. :cool:

Your loss. :)

4. Joab

Joab

My real question is HOW could she have got a file out of my documents folder (she has no physical access to my machine).

5. dinoman

dinoman

Joab,

He is right. Google it, for it will be much easier for you to find out then one of us giving you multiple long explanations.

6. try a program called ad-aware, there is a free version available, you can get links from pc mag etc. if that shows nothing, perhaps spydoctor would. I'm not certain these will do the trick, as they are targeted towards creepy advertisers etc, but it certainly can't hurt. If all else fails, you could always just put a hit on her...just kidding:D

7. oh, and most pc's come with a feature called remote desktop. It allows remote access, ostensibly for technical assistance, etc. I say Bulls**t on that...remove remote desktop just in case..

8. gaj

gaj

spyware...search & destroy, ad-aware, pest patrol.

tcpview.

see what's in your startup folders (msconfig)

spyware doctor

an anti virus program.

good luck, typing w 2 fingers.

and grc.com

9. Joab

Joab

Thanks guys

I actually found another thread on this topic and it helped.

Have a great weekend.

10. Are you using XP? Are folders set to open with your user ONLY?

Set passwords, or better yet, reinstall Windows.
    Much better yet, buy your girlfriend a computer and set a password on yours.
    Privacy is golden.

#10     Mar 3, 2008