could IB tws be monitored and controled remotely?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by robinxing, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I have a question

if I am travling in another city and leaving the trading computer autotrading

How can I monitor the trading computer remotely

if something wrong how can I control the IB tws ?

thank you

2. www.gotomypc.com

You can access your home pc from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

3. dcvtss

dcvtss

You don't need any extra programs. Assuming you are using windows, you can use the built in remote desktop. What you'll need is:
    -A static WAN IP for the computer you want to control OR use a service like no-ip.org or dyndns (both free) to make your computer findable on the internet
    - set windows to allow remote desktop, right click my computer choose properties then remote then check the box that says allow users to connect remotely
    - if you are using firewall/NAT/PAT you need to forward TCP and UDP 3389 to the PC you want to control. See www.portforward.com if you are not familar with forwarding ports.
    -On the remote PC, run remote desktop client, start->run->mstsc.exe - - type in the IP or domain name of the PC you want to control, enter your username and password like normal

4. GTS

GTS

If you don't know what you are doing I would strongly advise against allowing remote desktop protocol (TCP 3389) in from the net to your trading PC.

BTW, UDP 3389 is not needed.

To the OP, if real money is involved you may want to go beyond the software approaches mentioned and get a full IP-based KVM solution - that will allow you to see what is going on even if the OS has crashed or hung. I've used Avocent products in the past - not cheap but quite good.

5. cstfx

cstfx

Get a dedicated server ($100/mth) or a VPS ($40/mth) to run your automated trading program with TWS. The centers where these servers are located are more reliable than your home or office and you can easily access the server using remote desktop connection from your Windows laptop. The added cost is negligible for the added security of being connected all the time.

6. Hi CSTFX,

What are your views on having sensitive information on these severs?

7. cstfx

cstfx

Just as secure as on your home system. You can put whatever software firewall/security application you want to run on your system as you want. Plus your server is behind a hardware firewall at the server center. These systems are probably more secure than your typical desktop system sitting on your desk. I have tried various setups (you can do a search) and currently run my apps on a dedicated server in Pa. it serves more as a backup to my own server room, but I trust it.