Could eSignal really be this bad?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tortoise, Mar 19, 2008.

1. CQG is much better, yes. Not sure I follow your inquiry on charting...what are you asking?

#21     Mar 19, 2008
  2. tortoise

tortoise

well, my understanding was that cqg was primarily a data provider, but now i see they do have their own charting software. Is this was you use? Does it come with programming language ability a la EasyLanguage or EFS?

#22     Mar 19, 2008
  3. tallpaw

tallpaw

Would like to know the answer to this question also. Looking at CQG and Sierra Charts and want to know if ESignal EFS programming is possible with CQG and Sierra Charts?

#23     Mar 19, 2008
  4. I'm intrigued by CQG, and will contact them tomoorw, but:
    Can equities traders use this to chart stocks?
    What's the monthly price to do the things eSignal can (only better, I'm hoping)?

I like the eSignal pages, but simply cannot trade with quotes that are late, and thus off the market by 2-12+ cents as they have been for some weeks now.

THanks!

#24     Mar 19, 2008
  5. Tradestation has the best drawing tools and the easiest programing language out there. Also best data I have seen. Also the best stock scanner.

You can do anything you want in Tradestation except backtest on more then one stock at a time, however we all know backtesting is a waste of time.

John

#25     Mar 20, 2008
  6. CQG stand for Commodity Quotes and Graphics, and they are known for their advanced technical analysis package and for offering a wide variety of indicators. Their feed is very reliable, unlike E-Signal's, but as far as whether or not they have an EFS-like programming language I am not sure.

#26     Mar 20, 2008

7. Thanks, John.

This next question is open to all who are familiar with CQG.

What is it that CQG does that allows them to put out high quality data vs. ESignal and some of the other vendors that people have been disappointed in?

#27     Mar 20, 2008
  8. Yes, the lagging has been absolutely terrible in recent weeks. I just canceled after 6 years as a result.

It actually started months ago, and they claimed at the time "it's only on some of our servers and we can't figure out which ones or why." (That certainly inspires a lot of confidence.) Apparently they are still spewing the same "explanation".

BUT, since I am still running it until my renewal date, I can tell you I didn't see the down spike you saw in the SPY yesterday.

This might be explained by my having been on one of their experimental "trade only" servers (which means they only deliver actual trades for charts, not all the bid/ask changes too). Switching to those servers (which you do by requesting it) did help with the delay in loading intraday charts, but it didn't help the data lag issue, and that's why I threw in the towel on them.

As for any promises they may be making about fixing the data lag issue, don't hold your breath. Several years ago when I was paying for their ECN book feature, it was ALWAYS messed up, and month after month went by with them always promising they were working on it. Never did it get better, and they more or less finally admitted they couldn't fix it for me.

Here's my strongest warning: Qcharts from Quote.com was a FANTASTIC service until Lycos got hold of them, then the data starting getting all messed up. They would promise they were working on a fix. It never came. I left them to go to esignal back in 2002 and was reasonably happy for the last 6 years (with the exception of the ECN book feature, which I had to give up on).

Guess what? Esignal has acquired qcharts and the data lags started when they began their efforts to consolidate their servers for esignal and qcharts. So whatever customer service reps tell you, there is absolutely no telling whether or even IF the problem will ever be fixed. The job of customer service reps in companies like this is to tell you whatever it takes to keep you hoping and, more importantly, paying the monthly fee.

Now I ask you: What kind of FOOLS sell market data to traders but are so INEPT as to introduce system changes without testing them before deploying them? I have simply had it with them.

One thing I find promising: IB's quotes never skipped a beat during all the volatility of the past several sessions while esignal was lagging badly and even going silent for minutes at a time.

#28     Mar 20, 2008
  9. milnarf

milnarf

Today e-sig missed 2 price points in the er and again last week totally missd prices that tradedin the er! Management knows about it and still does not update charts. Thay are selling a product wth missing data!

#29     Mar 20, 2008
  10. esignal is the lagging data king

charting is very good and very user friendly, unlike most competitors

#30     Mar 20, 2008