Cotton - Front month very light volume

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by heech, Jul 15, 2009.

1. yeah, actually that spread was generous to alot of guys in the pit; actually so was the X/F/H broken fly too now that I think of it. Surprisingly, there are a few very tame relationships in beans that are consistently profitable......

#11     Jul 16, 2009
  2. I always look a few contracts ahead to see where the volume is giong to before a contract expires. I saw the dead volume and huge spread between bid & ask on the Oct09 contract like you did. I skipped right over it. It seems to happen in other products aside from Ag too. I think it makes for more comfortable trading not having to roll in and out every month.

I've only been trading Cotton for about a year and we all know commodity prices in the past year have been all over the charts. Anyone know what a normal price for cotton was prior to the big commodities run up? Are there any sources for historical prices?

#12     Jul 16, 2009
  3. CQG is pretty good....probably best not just to look at the prices alone but the relationship or term structure of the prices as you may see different effects such as backwardation occurring.

#13     Jul 16, 2009
  4. heech

heech

Probably other sources out there, but here's OptionVue view of last 3 years in CT... price + vol.

#14     Jul 16, 2009
  5. That's great information. Thanks very much!

#15     Jul 17, 2009
  6. heech

heech

Boy, almost made an embarrassing (and expensive) mistake.

Because the Sep options have Dec underlying, I assumed the Oct options would be the same.

It turns out, I would've been wrong. Oct options have the Oct underlying!

#16     Jul 30, 2009
  7. K Cotton you forgot to mention also has volume when its time comes around. People just spread out of V deltas with the v/z spread.

#17     Aug 4, 2009