Costs of addiction

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Cutten, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Now, that's funny!
    I've had 1 dog since, he's dead, but I haven't died again, so I can't answer your question.:p

#11     Jun 5, 2009
  2. pspr

pspr

Was your dog able to talk to you or was it the same as in life? Did you happen to see my dog there? Wheaten Rhodesian Ridgeback about 2 1/2 ft. tall, answers to Kayli.

#12     Jun 5, 2009
  3. how many are addicted to Carradine's trick? no need to PM, just report it in this thread.

".....Police initially said Carradine's body was found "naked, hanging in a closet," causing them to suspect he had taken his own life. On Friday, however, police said the actor may have died from accidental suffocation or heart failure after revealing that he was found with a rope tied around his wrist, neck and genitals — leading to speculation that Carradine may have engaged in a dangerous form of sex play known as auto-erotic asphyxiation....."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipVUX_BySIOm7FCTgbyATYx9NrywD98LBQJ00

#13     Jun 6, 2009
  4. skoal runs me about $25 a week. Thats the only addiction I have......other than trading :D

#14     Jun 7, 2009
  5. Being a type A personality, after about 7 years of working for the man, I'd be walking on my lunch hour and think a beer would taste pretty good right now. Drinking on my lunch hour was not something I would do though.

I took the intiative to start my own business, set my own hours and pretty much knocked off work about 3 pm everday to go home and drink beer. This worked out quite well for about 10 years, but you know me, couldn't afford to drink if I didn't make the moolah. Business really got better to the point where it cut into my drinking time. I took the business over pleasure road and eventually quite drinking all together. Funny how that worked out.

#15     Jun 7, 2009
  6. monty09

monty09

is it an addiction if you benefit from it? I gambled a lot in college but made about >100k over 4 years.

Was able to set myself up for first job and get a house. I still gamble but not as intense as in college.

#16     Jun 7, 2009
  7. loza

loza Guest

I have, my father had it.....why
    do you have a question? PM me....

#17     Jun 8, 2009
  8. The only addiction of note that I have, such as it is, is a periodic binge compulsion to read, and post on, ET. Retrospectively, it is virtually always a waste of time, particularly in regards to the Politics & Religion forum. I also often find myself at odds with numerous posts in the trading-related forums. However, I am somewhat less inclined to participate in those exchanges because I see no value in sharing my views in any meaningful specificity. And yet, I return. Although the site has been of some value to me, principally in the software area because I am a technodolt, it is getting long in the tooth for me. The opportunity cost is occasionally fairly high. And yet, here I am. What to do, what to do?

#18     Jun 8, 2009
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Are you sure about that? Google "opportunity cost" :)

#19     Jun 9, 2009
  10. Cutten

Cutten

IMO an addiction is something you recognise as harmful, but find difficult to stop. If you find something hard to stop, but it is beneficial to your life, then that's called destiny ;)

#20     Jun 9, 2009