Cost of Programmer to automate

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bouncy, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jerry030

Jerry030

OK, I can see why the Soviet Union collapsed.

#51     Mar 17, 2008
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Thanks for the links. I'm learning OpenQuant still, I don't think of it as all that high level really, it is event driven and I'm still trying to figure out just what drives some of the events, is it the code, is it the broker...... They are responsive to fixing bugs and adding features like I've never seen and they aren't married to backward compatiability so I think the future is bright with them....

#52     Mar 17, 2008
  3. #53     Mar 19, 2008
  4. I recently paid NZD $4000 (about US 3200). It was a big job and the quality of the work was excellent, though the time went on for ages, months over schedule. Meant to be $90 hr though probably over 100 hours work in it

#54     Mar 19, 2008
  5. Hi,

Acombo of a programmer and trader is the default requirement when considering paid programmers.
    I stopped programming strategies for people when I became a profitable trader myself (why should I waste time on that).

My systems span 1000's of computations in real time for hugh amount of Global symbols. It took me years to develop - and 100000's of hours.There is no way you can just hire a programmer for a fixed job and be consistant with it absent such an effort as I put into it,ibid (C#,C++,Assembly Api programming at socket levels).

The truth is - that if someone is offering his services cheaply and openly this indicates that he is neither a good programmer nor a good trader......And for automation you need nothing but the best !

Get real !

#55     Mar 21, 2008
  6. Jerry030

Jerry030

Gert real?

100,000 hours at 8 hours a day is 32 years!

So you started on your system in 1972?

What took you so long to create a profitable system?

When hiring a programmer I'd hire someone who can
    program faster than that!

Also, I'd never hire a programer who is a trader. Why pay someone to steal my ideas?

#56     Mar 21, 2008
  7. In Dec 07 I hired a programmer to be a regular employee at my trading office. Best move I ever made. He was a friend of another trader in the office, and really was intrigued by trading, but had no experience in it. He learned our softwares API from websites/calling HO and programs in C#. As compensation he gets a base salary, plus a cut of what the algos make. This has caused him to become extremely motivated, working well over the open market hours time. We have an intellectual rights and compensation contract for service. If you can afford to employ someone like this, I recommend it 100%.

#57     Mar 21, 2008
  8. Jerry030

Jerry030

I may be of interest to both those potentially offering programming services and those needing them if you could give a general idea of the value added by this programmer.

For example his algos increase net returns by 5% or 50%, or something more? Who knows there may be others who would like to take a short at increasing your returns beyond what you currently have.

#58     Mar 21, 2008
  9. Its impossible to say because i automated things that cannot be done by human hands. In this case the increase in return is infinity, as i started with 0. I definitely am not interesting in hiring any more programmers or contracting out my strategies, I was just posting for informational purposes.

#59     Mar 21, 2008
  10. dev1

dev1

Interesting opinions about dollar worth of programmers.

Lots of good software has been written by people who initially only charged $0.0/hr. If you are on a Unix machine, you might even be using some right now.

#60     Mar 24, 2008