Cost of Carry in FX Futures vs. Swap in Forex

Discussion in 'Trading' started by heispark, Dec 15, 2018.

1. heispark

heispark

As a swing trader, I thought the biggest advantage trading currency Futures compared to Forex is cheaper trading cost, because Forex charges high swap rate (when it's negative swap). However, up until now, I didn't know about 'cost of carry' in FX Futures. (More details: https://www.cmegroup.com/education/...portance-of-fx-futures-pricing-and-basis.html).
    My quick question: Considering the cost of carry, is mid/long term trading cost in FX Futures still much cheaper than Forex? (ex. Buying/holding E6 cheaper than buying/holding EURUSD?)
    Thanks.

2. traider

traider

Yes usually for most brokers. If you have +ve carry use futures for periods > 1 day.

heispark likes this.
  3. heispark

heispark

How about negative carry?

4. Transaction cost in fx futures have never been cheaper than cash fx. At least not with reputable fx brokers that only pass through liquidity and charge commission without any markups or alteration of the price feeds.

Carry is built into fx futures so there is zero benefit in that regards of trading fx futures. My analysis has shown, and I trade around 400mln-1bln in usd notional per month in cash fx, that for me overall cost of execution are lower via cash than futures. But then again the cost comparison depends on a lot of different variables such as how specifically you execute in size should you trade larger volume.

In fact you may be exposed to additional risk trading the futures each time you trade the rolls.

In addition, only a few fx pairs are offered via futures whereas in cash you can trade close to 120 pairs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    canoe, comagnum, Onra and 1 other person like this.
  5. Your statement is only valid for brokers who take a cut off rolls. Otherwise there is zero benefit of trading fx futures over cash in this specific regard.

6. heispark

heispark

Thank you very much for your quick feedback. It answered my question. :thumbsup:
    I have better edge on currency trade and now I am going back to Forex.....

GRULSTMRNN likes this.
  7. Logically it doesn't make sense. Futures mimic spot by definition. The only difference is if your spot FX bucket shop is too greedy and rips you off more than average FX cost of carry really is.

heispark likes this.
  8. heispark

heispark

My Forex broker is Dukascopy and hopefully they are fair and not too greedy in charging the cost..... :rolleyes:
    My conclusion is if I have better edge on currency trade, I will be better off with Forex instead of Futures...... (I am a swing trader and often trade cross pairs)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. Dukascopy have pretty tight spreads. Not the best in terms of liquidity but if you don't trade in large size dukascopy is a pretty good fx broker.

heispark likes this.
  10. Yes. I speculate intetmediate-term (weeks to months) too and prefer spot FX over futures, especially on crosses. Simply no liquidity elsewhere.

#10     Dec 15, 2018
    heispark likes this.