CORRELATION EminiS&P-Russel2000

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NickBarings, Oct 19, 2004.

1. On an absolute basis you have the idea, however to do this right you still have to account for differences in volatility. Compare the average true range of the two instruments. Check out the position siziing algorithm discussed in Acrary's posts. If you account for volatility differences you are probably in the right ballpark as to balancing the ES/ER spread. Lefty

#11     Oct 20, 2004
  2. All that work for "Zero" consistency. Rock On!

#12     Oct 20, 2004
  3. abogdan

abogdan

Before you downgrade my comment as just "funny" look at the following chart that has es and er2 adjusted by the value of their contracts, implied volatility and the point value. Do they look correlated to you? (Blue is es and green is er2)

#13     Oct 20, 2004
  4. Yeah, and so would the NDX or INDU, for example... it's not an arbitrage.

#14     Oct 20, 2004
  5. abogdan

abogdan

Would you be so kind and post your definition of "arbitrage" please. May be I'm using the wrong term here.

#15     Oct 20, 2004
  6. The [riskless] purchase and sale of two fungible securities... buying COMEX gold/selling LME. Option arbitrage: buying synthetic stock/shorting stock(reversal).

#16     Oct 20, 2004
  7. abogdan

abogdan

Thank you. That is what I thought. So, buying an adjusted value of es and selling a symmetrically adjusted value of er2 could be considered as arbitrage? Would you agree? Or I'm still missing something?

#17     Oct 20, 2004
  8. No, the correlations [price and volty] are too low. The SPX/OEX are close, but not an arb.

#18     Oct 20, 2004
  9. rp10029

rp10029

just joined this board. interesting because i know someone that blew out from trading the russell agaist the spu. he was a big shooter too. sad but true. i understand that you may use the relationship as a trading vehicle but that's all it is. its noise trading at best. but if you have the discipline to handle the loose correlation that's great.

just don't believe it too much that you blow out. not worth it

#19     Oct 21, 2004
  10. mind

mind

abogdan, riskarb

dont waste time. its just a word. sure it is not true arb. some kind of stat arb it is for sure ... in the end the question is if it works.

abogdan, what is your sharpe ratio expectation on this system? above 1.5? i guess so given the mentioned trading frequency.

peace

#20     Oct 21, 2004