Corn?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by mgookin, Sep 8, 2010.

1. I was at a funeral yesterday and chatted with a hedge fund manager who is nephew to the deceased. He swears by commodities for the next 10 years on this philosophy:

USA has been 2/3 of global GDP for a hundred years or more with 300 million people today. There are more than 2 billion people now entering the middle class. You can try to guess what car they will buy, electric appliances, etc. but one thing is certain - if they have more money they will eat more. Corn, rice, sugar, etc. are all long plays for a decade on this premise.

Certainly worth thinking about.

#11     Sep 19, 2010
  2. local

local

The market has just rallied $1.50 since July 28, closing higher 30 of the past 37 sessions. This market is more than just a "little firm". Overnight price action/volume similiar in grains/beans to that of 2008 when record prices were set. Suggests to me a continues flow of fund capital. Forget harvest pressure, market appears to be panicking.

Regards, local

#12     Sep 19, 2010
  3. LOL, I know a little bit about the corn market and was being Sarcastic.

#13     Sep 20, 2010
  4. emg

emg

there is no panic in the grain market. its following the seasonal pattern. plus, live cattles is making new high, therefore a hint corn top is near

#14     Sep 20, 2010
  5. emg

emg

weather will always be a significant effect on prices. after all, rain grows grain.

#15     Sep 20, 2010
  6. emg

emg

anyway, because the harvest seasonal started, u may want to pay attention in the cattles market

#16     Sep 20, 2010
  7. local

local

Thought so, just checking. Anyways, market now pricing in potentially the tighest corn carryout in history. Should create lots of opportunity, eg N/Z spread, wheat/corn.

Regards, local

#17     Sep 20, 2010
  8. What is a cattles market?

#18     Sep 20, 2010
  9. What seasonal shows corn going up a $1.50 during harvest?

#19     Sep 20, 2010
  10. local

local

I'm long cash cattle. Cattle is not what is moving the corn. Corn carryout is potentially tightest in history despite smallest calf crop in 35 years.

Regards, local

#20     Sep 20, 2010