Corn Crash!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by simpleton, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Why do I get the feeling that HegdeFundTrader2 created a new account?

#31     Jun 19, 2008
  2. Sorry, don't know him.

#32     Jun 19, 2008
  3. Simpleton

Listen to Proflogic and Rtrader2525 they are some of the better grain traders on ET and know what they are talking about. Proflogic is bullish and Rtrader2525 doesn't seem to have a strong opinion either way so what does that tell you????? Stay the hell out or get long. Believe me I tried stepping infront of wheat last year on more than one occasion and got murdered!!! Its just not worth it. To be honest I would recommend just staying out of the grain markets for the next 5 years unless you have balls of steel.

Good Luck to you

#33     Jun 19, 2008
  4. Thanks for the advice. And to be clear I'm not a 'grain' trader, but I do have a lot of trading experience and am quite humble (as evidenced by the handle I chose). This doesn't dissuade me from the fact that I know I am going against the grain (haha) and most if not all 'facts' point to higher prices, but I think I know a thing or two about market behaviour which in this case I believe will override the fundamentals.

In reality no one knows what the potential clearing price for corn will be but it is our job as a trader to figure out what is priced into the asset to see if there is a trade where the rewards outweigh the risks.

And finally, more important than balls of steel, you need enough capital to support your trading style with some margin for error.

Thanks for reading and speak to you when Sep Corn hits 700 (or 800 my stop).

#34     Jun 19, 2008
  5. more rain in the midwest expected for this weekend... monday looks very bullish to me already :)

#35     Jun 20, 2008
  6. how can corn go down when fertilizer, chemicals and diesel costs are going thru the roof?

Isn't it so obvious?

#36     Jun 22, 2008
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Maybe too obvious, who knows. I wouldnt be inclined to buy most grains here, thats for sure. But, I also don't want to buy either, more of a wait and see what happens. Both sides of the trade have more risk than I want take for what I feel the upside could be from this point.

#37     Jun 22, 2008
  8. Iowa Corn =19% of US Corn

I have heard that 20% of Iowa acres are ruined. That equals about 4% of US prodution.

If the balance of US yield is up 4% due to good moisture, it is a push.

Are the low lying acres the most productive, least produtive, or just average?

#38     Jun 22, 2008
  9. BCE

BCE

Very observant post. Nicely done especially for your first post. :)

#39     Jun 22, 2008
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

In a year without floods they are the most productive since they tend to have good soil.

#40     Jun 22, 2008