Corn Crash!

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by simpleton, Jun 18, 2008.

1. How did I miss this statement? Maybe you should not get so emotional with your trading, maybe you could make a lot more money that way. But thanks for the debate.

#11     Jun 18, 2008
  2. Thx and maybe Dec corn does hit 8.23 but it won't kill me.

#12     Jun 18, 2008
  3. very true, either way good luck. It'll be very interesting to watch how this plays out

#13     Jun 18, 2008
  4. ess1096

ess1096

I'll start selling my longs at $8.48 and start shorting around $8.75
    Of course if the weather continues bashing the midwest it could trade higher than that this summer. They are expecting more rain this week and the river is still rising in some spots. All they need is a dry hot summer and $10 wouldn't be impossible.
    Why try to step in front of a freight train?

I agree with the poster who said this isn't totally priced in because it is still happening. Here is an article from less than an hour ago about even MORE flooded wheat, corn and bean fields.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/18/midwest.flooding/?iref=mpstoryview

from the above link..................

"There's a lot of wheat fields down here just about ready to be harvested, and they're going to lose all that," Jefferson told CNN. "The corn crop, the bean crop that's up is all going to be lost. And the real work's going to come after the flood recedes. It'll take years to get this ground back into shape to farm it."

#14     Jun 18, 2008
  5. LT701

LT701

i have no idea, i dont play the grains

i'm only commenting that bravado in top calling here is foolish, that this is truely uncharted teritory. this flooding is occurring at the worst possible time, as corn has (foolishly) been migrated into a fuelstock via ethanol, dollar is low and oil is high.

'simpleton' is a pinhead, thinking trading platitudes are his friend on this one

what's still happening isnt priced in, it's a convergence of 3 forces that have never been combined before: biofuel with record fuel price, dollar collapse, and 500 year flood to reduce yields

#15     Jun 18, 2008
  6. LT701

LT701

i'm not trading that market, you idiot

i've never heard a successful trader use expressions like 'get on the gravy train' or 'back up the truck'

not ever

#16     Jun 18, 2008
  7. idiot and pinhead huh? very mature of you

#17     Jun 18, 2008
  8. ess1096

ess1096

Don't forget increasing demand from emerging markets like China and India. A global demand like never before.

#18     Jun 18, 2008
  9. LT701

LT701

yes, i missed that

offshoring of jobs to india and manufacturing to china creates demand for higher quality diets and motor fuels

lots of corn goes into a high quality steak

#19     Jun 18, 2008
  10. LT701

LT701

well, a handle like simpleton and stupid opinions kind of invites it

#20     Jun 18, 2008