Core i7-3930K vs Xeon E5-2630 For Long-duration Financial Calculations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dima777, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dima777

dima777

I just wanted to let you know that I recently bought the HP Z420 machine with the e5-1650 processor and 8 gb ecc ram!) runs great!) thank you for your comments and directions!!!!))))

i had one more question - I do need to think fo a backup solution just in case - I was wondering if you can recommend anything for this - do you think there is a way to upload and run my own 64-bit vmware image containing the 64 bit office and Matlab to some private cloud service??? just to be sure I have another place to recalculate all stuff for emergency cases...would it be possible to upload such a wmware image to some cloud service? what do you think?
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#51     Mar 25, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

too complicated... just get this..

https://store.acronis.com/325/purl-...31,gaUA1499431,&x-campaign=104051&x-type=full

you will not go wrong at all...

and then get yourself a 2 drive external e-sata/fw/usb drive... mirrored...and backup with acronis to that... create an image with the PC clean and all your app's installed.. and then create another image that will do the same and add incrementals... the initial image is for baremetal retores...in case you want to setup another computer, it saves you time..

I like the lacie .. but that is just me....

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10573

so, in case is not clear... if your wks dies... depending what died... you would BMR the image back to the replaced OS drive, it would take no time at all...

the 420 has a few internal bays... you can get a low cost 3.5" SATA drive (meaning whatever you can find for $50) and keep on the shelve... if the OS/APP drive dies, just install the drive and BMR the OS to it... you will be back in under an hour..

another good option, if you decide against the external lacie drive... is to get the following..

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001988

use the internal raid to mirror two of the drives (get like a 2TB or so) and then the third slot for that spare drive that you can do a BMR to... there are other creative ways as well that one can investigate... like booting off a USB with the BMR image to restore everything to disk, etc... play around with it...

#52     Mar 25, 2013
  3. Mirkou

Mirkou

as your calcullation is done in Matlab you might want to use a Tesla Supercomputer Card (for example the new Tesla k20 for $4000). The matlab parallel computing Toolbox ($1000) might enable you to use all the cores of your Intel and of the Tesla.

I run Matlab callcullations 24hours 7days. I recommend very good RAM (might cost 10x the normal Price) and a very good power supply and good cooling (Corsair H110) and a big Tower case to have room for additional cooling.

The big question here is how much of your CPU power you can use. For example if you have old 32 bit Software you can only use 2gb RAM and maybe only 1 core. If you only use 1 core (Matlab without parallel Toolbox) you will not have issues with overheating anyhow because the cpu workload will allways be max. 15%.

The way how you store and Transfer data will be one of your bottlenecks. Excel to Matlab might work for real time data (and I do it this way, too) well with the build in spreadsheet function of Matlab. If you Need some historic data for your calcullations I recommend to test the Matlab build in APIs (for example to TT, Bloomberg, Reuters or CQG).

If you have any experience with Excel you will invest in the newest Version because it runs much much faster than the 2003 Version (try and you will be surprised).

#53     Mar 31, 2013
  4. +1

Just make sure you install the x64 and just because you have the x64 cd does not mean you're installing x64. Follow the install closely and read up on it before you install it. It's akin to buying a new ford explorer with firestone tires; you can do it but only after about 6 "yes this is really what I want to do"'s.

#54     Mar 31, 2013
  5. Assuming you bought this one... too bad you didn't check Dell Outlet first.. they've got equivalent one, better equipped for $500 less...

Precision T3600 •Processor: Intel Xeon Six Core E5-1650, 3.2GHz,12M, Turbo+
    •Genuine Windows 7 Professional
    •Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T3600, 635W Tower
    •1TB, 7200 RPM 3.5 inch SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    •8GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)
    •8X DVD ROM Drive
    •512 MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300, Dual Monitor

$1,189.00

#55     Mar 31, 2013
  6. mokwit

mokwit

#56     Apr 17, 2013