Core i7-3930K vs Xeon E5-2630 For Long-duration Financial Calculations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dima777, Nov 24, 2012.

1. RAMDISK can be much faster than SSD but again, it seems that your weak link is software not hardware.

That Matlab + Excel combo is really slow in general so either live/deal with it or make some changes on the software side before you start buying/building a crazy robust computer that won't solve your problem.

#31     Nov 28, 2012
  2. dima777

dima777

yes they can be slow but I cannot change them because compiling a code would take a year....I need to maximize cpu performance and memory...

I wonder if you have tried running your i73930k for long periods of time..like 10 hours at the maximum load....I wonder how it behaved? lets say for 8-10 hours in a row....at 95% (no over-clocking) - did you see any hints of instability in its performance?
    Thanks!

#32     Nov 28, 2012
  3. dima777

dima777

thank you for your generous attention!)

I need to introduce one more element into the equation...sorry to have left it out before....I need to spend quite some time outside of the Europe and USA - in eth Western Europe - where the server grade parts take a week to arrive - a week is intolerable time to wait for any part in case the setup fails....I will be providing the analysis each day and it needs to be updated on a daily basis...new signals can orccur any time...

for a server-based example, I have been recommended the followign setup

CPU: Xeon E3 1275 V2
    MOBO ASUS P8C WS
    RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuff. (4x4gb)

the cpu and motehrboard are more or less easily available here but the RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuff which is only accepted by this setup needs to be ordered and will take from 7 to 10 days to arrive.....I have not foudn otehr unuffered ECC on teh market now...

I mean if any part of this seup fails - Especially memory - I will need to replace it...but only within one weeks time....

if i go with the i7 3930k based setup - I shoudl be able to get any kind of the memory in no time at all from teh local PC shops...The XEON+ECC+SERVER mobo looks very reliable but if anythign beraks down I stand the chance of replacing the broken part much faster with the 3930k based setup....considering the power of 3930k I mitgh be able to crunch all data in a matter of 5 o6 hours so no need for 24/7 operation for now....

I will be doign maintenance myself at first - do you think a server-based setup mitghbe harder to maintain than a desctop based setup?

thanks!)

#33     Nov 29, 2012
  4. Have you ever considered just having duplicate replacement parts on hand, i.e. a Back up system or all the components composing a backup system? If dependability and 99%+ up time is required, why subject yourself to a one week wait. Simple solution.

#34     Nov 29, 2012
  5. Is that a sales pitch???

#35     Nov 29, 2012
  6. Either pay up to go virtual (higher monthly cost but lower up-front cost) or just build a decent desktop (cheap desktop) and go from there.

Stop getting feedback from the forum and just do it. Don't build a server if you can't maintain it - they can; at times, require more attention than a desktop.

Either run your operation from a desktop or virtualize it all into a decent cloud.

#36     Nov 29, 2012
  7. dima777

dima777

You mean all the original excel model files can stay on my own hard-drive and the calculation will be sent to the calculating instances? if yes - I am not sure my broadband will allows that as my excel files are very large - close to 500mbs on average...

#37     Nov 29, 2012
  8. dima777

dima777

yes I am thinking about that....

#38     Nov 29, 2012
  9. dima777

dima777

yes a desktop looks an attractive option for sure as I have NO prior experience workign with server hardware and would need to handle it all on my own most of the time (no dedicated it staff for now)...I might devise a special checking after=processor in excel that will make sure there are no outliers in the analysis that might be due to memory errors of any kind - if I use non-ECC memory...

#39     Nov 29, 2012
  10. I should probably send you this via PM vs. here but:

There is no difference between the two. Either you get it and can build a compuer/server or you can't.

Just get a decent desktop machine and let it run - don't even get ECC ram since it'll be just running on bare metal - just go as cheap as you can and let it ride. Once you have income and cash it'll be a totally different story. You'll be able to afford/lease hardware or virtual machines that will give you the uptime you need. In the meantime if your site is down for 3-5 minutes it may look like a refresh issue.

Just get 2 cheap desktops and hope you don't have major outage issues.

#40     Nov 29, 2012