Core i7-3930K vs Xeon E5-2630 For Long-duration Financial Calculations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dima777, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dima777

dima777

yes thank you for the suggestion on how to speed this up - right now I am setup with Excel doing he model and Matlab the charts.....could be much faster with c++ for sure....do not have time to transform all the models there right now...maybe later....

#21     Nov 26, 2012
  2. dima777

dima777

yes thank you...but I am limited in time right now.....will stick with excel for now....maybe later...how long do you think ti mitgh take to transform a 300 mb excel model file with around 500,000 cells with formulas?

#22     Nov 26, 2012
  3. dima777

dima777

yes thank you for pointing me in the direciotnof the excel...yes I knwo it has some issues that I will need ot del with the fastest and most stable machine as possible.....do you thinkt hat XEON E3 1275 V2 with 4 cores at 3,5 ghZ CAN PULL OF 4 VIRTUAL MACHINES EACH RUNNING EXCEL 2007 AND MATLAB?

#23     Nov 26, 2012
  4. Why would you run 4 VMs? You should be able to use each of the 4 cores running 4 instances on a single machine. You'd just have to figure out the details. The VM might slow you down also, and you might need more memory. I'm sure there's a way to not use VMs if you put your mind to it, but I'd have to know the details. To answer your question, yes, it can pull it off, if you do it properly.

#24     Nov 26, 2012
  5. Mr_You

Mr_You

I'm not sure. I imagine if you exported the file to csv that you could find out in a few hours. R / RStudio is pretty easy to install and use.

Here is a very basic R/RStudio quickstart guide in the works.

#25     Nov 26, 2012
  6. dima777

dima777

thank you for your reply...I need 4 VMs to each analyse its own time frame of the 50 currency pairs....the analysis will be performed identically for each time frame of the 50 currency pairs....so to analyse it all in parallel I am thinking of breaking the whole pipeline into 4 parallel sub pipelines each working on its own time-frame....what do you think?

#26     Nov 26, 2012
  7. 2500k here...

hardly ever go above 50% utilization w/ 8 monitors

beast system though.

do yourself a favor and get a SSD while you're at it.

#27     Nov 26, 2012
  8. Im with the other posters here. Excel is your weak link, not the hardware. Do it all in Matlab.

#28     Nov 26, 2012
  9. dima777

dima777

yes thanks...I will surely get the SSD....HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE RAMDISK? it appears to beat the SSD in some ways?

#29     Nov 27, 2012
  10. dima777

dima777

thank you for your reply.....I will think more about adding the VMS - with excel 2003 each running in one WinXP VM - this can be really fast to parallelize....I will combine the analytics from the separate VMS in the host machine.....the individual analysis could be done in excel 2003 but aggregating analysis and post-production woudl be done in excel 2010 which allows much more than the 2 gb of memory...software errors are likely but mos dependent on excel and matlab and vmware...I will test this setup and if it is suitable for daily work will stick with it - if no - will do all in sequence on the host machine...I am stuck with excel for now as taking it to an executable code would add a year to the project....do you think EXCEL 2010 on 4 cores will run faster than EXCEL 2003 on one core?

#30     Nov 27, 2012