Cops in FL now carry assault rifles...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Reaver, Jun 5, 2008.

1. I should have cleared up my original wording. It was late for me last night.

Man there has just been some weird shit go down over the past few years, and who knows how far it could go.

Not saying it would or is going to happen, but the stage is being set in the event someone does finally decide to do something totally ignorant. Every step like this that is taken makes it that much easier to happen if someone ever decides to try.

The way they fearmonger these days it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Hell, all it took was a little subprime meltdown and everyone is running to the gummint with outstretched arms for socialization of losses, etc....capitalism be damned we want help from the gummint! Just gotta wonder what would happen if something similar could be cooked up with terrorism, etc. You get enough of these moron sheeple out there scared, and they will give up all their liberties at the drop of a hat for "protection".

#31     Jun 6, 2008
  2. I am no bleeding heart, but I have to agree with this. There are way too many of these SWAT type units. Every federal agency, including some you would never dream of, have them, plus every police force and county sheriff. When you have a hammer, you look for excuses to use it. What used to be a simple arrest or warrant service becomes a full-scale break down the door, terrorize everyone, etc. Sometimes they get the wrong house and people die needlessly.

I see no evidence that the police are being outgunned. There are far bigger problems in law enforcement, beginning with the catch and release juvenile system, endless probation and parole for violent predators and way too many non-violent drug cases clogging up the system.

The thought that every DC cop car has an AR-15 is not comforting. They routinely lose guns, radios, body armor, etc. Dc is a small jurisdiction, with numerous federal police forces in addition to the DC Metropolitan police. If they find themselves in a situation where they need more firepower, it is easy to call it in. High power assault rifles should be reserved for highly trained officers. In an urban environment, it is not a weapon for street cops.

#32     Jun 6, 2008
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Agree 110% with every point you made.

And you're right. Officers *do have* high power assault rifles. Its called SWAT.

Oh yeah.

The Department of Energy has a SWAT Team. And if I'm not mistaken, I've seen pictures of IRS Agents in full battle garb, guns and all, preparing to take-down a big bad tax evader. The horror.

#33     Jun 6, 2008
  4. Not surprising you are opposed to police officers being able to defend themselves against criminals with assault rifles when you are this paranoid.

#34     Jun 6, 2008
  5. You see no evidence that police are being out-gunned? What about the video in the OP? I hear about it all the time, complaints from cops in major urban areas who face criminals armed with assault rifles versus their pistols.

Cops are dying nationwide because they're outgunned.

Yeah, there are SWAT teams available that may be called in, but tell that to the patrol officer who finds him or herself on a call and ends up being shot at with assault rifles. They do not have the luxury of calling up SWAT. They need more firepower then and there.

#35     Jun 6, 2008
  6. SHUT UP SLAVE... DRINK YOUR FLUORIDE SLAVE !!!!

#36     Jun 6, 2008
  7. achilles28

achilles28

You live in Fantasy Land, Hapaboy.

Police run checkpoints, all the time.

Cops and Military rounded up guns in New Orleans.

And KBR was awarded a 350 Million Dollar Contract with the Federal Government to build citizen internment camps in the event of an unnamed national 'emergency'.

You Neocons are a peculiar sort. Every bump in the night emboldens your resolve to bomb every Tin Pot Dictator back to the Stone Age. Yet you give no afterthought to 'what if' these night terrors manage another attack on our soil. What happens to the Country then?

Your answer, of course, is 'who cares?!' You're a good Neocon. Only Political Dissidents and Government critics get rounded up.

Thats what makes you a piss poor American.

You have No Idea what it means to be an American, or a Patriot.

#37     Jun 6, 2008
  8. Do we ever hear the paranoid, fear driven reactionary types like hapless talk of going after those who sell weapons to the wrong folks?

Nope...

The answer is always more and more guns...as if more guns are the solution to the problem.

The only question that really matters is, one that the gun nuts never want to ask or answer:

Why is it so easy for the criminal element to buy assault weapons and ammunition?

Follow the money....

#38     Jun 6, 2008
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Well, I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. The only 'reasonable restriction' should be criminal history. History of felonies, nope. You're denied.

So if career criminals get guns through a black-market supplier - and we can only assume they do (or how else do they get firearms?) - than yea, go after the blackmarket dealers, too.

#39     Jun 6, 2008
  10. We don't have a real "war on drugs" and we don't have a real "war on illegal weapons sales."

So follow the money to figure out why...

Legalizing drugs and going after the black market sales of weapons makes too much sense....so neither one is likely to happen.

#40     Jun 6, 2008