Copper?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by kmiklas, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Goldman Sachs: Historic Copper Shortage Loom As Prices Rocket
    https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodi...ic-Copper-Shortage-Loom-As-Prices-Rocket.html
    ... it is only a matter of time before we see a new all time high. Indeed, overnight copper extended its surge to a nine-year high as Goldman Sachs warned of a historic shortage with "the market now on the cusp of the tightest phase in what we expect to be the largest deficit in a decade" as Chinese buying "triggers the next leg higher" adding to expectations that prices will near a record sooner rather than later. Here are some highlights from a note published overnight by Goldman analyst Nicholas Snowdon....
    SNIP
    Goldman now expects copper to be trading at record highs in 1 year.
    SNIP
    Citi agreed with Goldman, expecting a substantial supply deficit until at least 2023.
    SNIP
    It wasn't just copper: other commodities have also soared with lithium, key to powering electric cars and backing up renewable energy, rebounding. And while tin headed for an unprecedented 16th straight weekly gain amid a supply squeeze, Platinum has been this year's top-performing major precious metal, thanks to its use in catalytic converters.

#31     Feb 22, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. kmiklas

kmiklas

Note that catalytic converters are not needed in EVs, so I'd expect the price of Platinum to decline if and when EVs start to take hold.

#32     Feb 23, 2021
  3. easymon1

easymon1

4. inflation fears are popping up everywhere and materials and energy are the most accessible plays. i'm late to the party but also now overweight materials and energy

#34     Feb 23, 2021
    johnnyrock and KCalhoun like this.
  5. Use caution. Any overall inflationary spurt is likely to be short lived.

#35     Mar 2, 2021
  6. maxinger

maxinger

today, it dropped 5% already

#36     Mar 4, 2021
  7. maxinger

maxinger

as of now, today day range is 5.2%

seems like it is reversing direction to go up.
    Shanghai INE copper market is going to open soon..
    Let's see what they will do.

#37     Mar 4, 2021
  8. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-against-chevron-over-climate-claims-14422370

US govt featuring NGO lawsuits against some big oil recently in order to shake out the hot money. Me thinks Biden and Powell have the same notions toward big miners. I'm looking for some near term commodity pull backs based on injecting fear over Green Power and Green Burden on mining. But I will buy into these pull backs. Seems just jawboning and shallow threats.

#38     Mar 17, 2021
  9. maxinger

maxinger

and today Comex copper has already dropped 5% since the Asian session.

Will it drop further during the US session?

Shanghai INE copper?
    When are they going to change trading hours?
    there is a total of 4 sessions in a day with breaks here and there
    (and hence gaps here and there).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    #39     Jun 15, 2021
  10. coolman

coolman

I have a question, if anyone can answer, I will be glad.
    while trading futures, is there any service that provide the details about how many trades were carried out at bid and how many at ask during the day or during 4 hour candle?

#40     Jun 17, 2021