Copper options?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by heech, Nov 6, 2009.

1. heech

heech

Any copper traders out there?

I've just noticed that COMEX copper futures have decent volume (~20k contracts trading hands), comparable to silver in fact. But the options basically isn't traded at all.

Any reason for this? Are copper options traded in some other form that I'm missing?

2. Iceman14

Iceman14

I've noticed the same thing and would be curious to know why the options volume is nonexistant comapered to the futures. Give the volume in the futures, you'd think they're be more action in the options?? I know COMEX options pits are still open, so not sure what the deal is?

Is there a viable OTC options market for copper perhaps?

3. heech

heech

I guess it's pretty obvious not a lot of copper traders out there.

But even so... can someone explain why the huge discrepancy in volume? F0/G0 have basically no future volume, while H0 is at ~15-20k contracts a day.

4. Trendguy

Trendguy

I agree. There are very few copper traders ! . . but why ? Copper seems to move nicely and has some good-sized intraday moves which can be traded.
    Are there others here interested in trading copper ? If so we can start a thread here and add our comments on it.
    Bruce

5. not sure how it is nowadays but about a year ago I know that there were very few copper options traders on the floor, barely enough to make a pit. I'm sure it's pretty much the same today and everything if anything is done on the screen. Considering the front month atm options have so little open interest I'd be wary of jumping into copper options.

as for the reason that f0 and g0 has no open interest this is how futures work, H0 is the current important front month.

6. Trendguy

Trendguy

I agree - but I was more referring to Copper Futures . . and, yes, always trading the month with the highest open interest ! !
    Copper moves well and is a good trader !