Cool things you can hedge with/ or just bet in my case.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nickvac, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Nickvac

Nickvac

I've been fooling around on the internet and reading everything there is on investopedia so I can sound smart for my friends who have real jobs in the finance world. I've come across two really cool things though. One is sports futures and the second is weather derivatives. I could only find the weather derivatives on Weatherbill.com but I could pretty much bet anything including that las vegas gets three inches of snow in December, which pays pretty well as you can imagine. In reality though I see these weather futures becoming used more widespread in the future; their applications are pretty endless. Secondly I came across sports futures. I had come across this one earlier and asked if anyone knew how to trade them only to receive silence. They trade on two sites Ticket reserve and yoonew.com. Yoonew being the more captivating of the two for my audience considering they created an actual exchange for their product and looks like they say "The Stock Market for Sports". They currently allow trading for teams in the 2009-2010 Superbowls and the next world series as well as some other sports I don't follow. Tickets are cheap considering the risk the teams don't make it and if you know your sports there's money to be made. Anybody got any other oddities they've come across like these.