cool stories from a proprietary trading firm

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by 1a2b3cppp, Jan 7, 2018.

1. zdreg

zdreg

re: trader charging his employees money to be part of his team.
    nope it is not equivalent. do you need an explanation?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    #21     Jan 8, 2018
  2. The hot shot traders eventually blow up. Happens to the best. The ones that know when to quit high risk hedge strategies and trade their own cap conservatively stay in the business.

#22     Jan 8, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.
  3. The story about Bear Stearns collapsing is very good. There were actually well known people (Bill Miller etc.) bought into Bear Stearns when it tanked. Needless to say they ending up lossing their shirts.

#23     Jan 8, 2018
  4. dealmaker

dealmaker

#24     Jan 8, 2018
  5. It looks like each story I read about prop firms discusses buying as price moves against you. There appear to be no purchasing with the trend prop dudes.

#25     Jan 8, 2018
  6. sle

sle

Yes, please, I am totally blanking on the concept. If someone is doing work, they should get paid, regardless of the expectation experience they get out of it. Even summer interns who are pretty much useless get paid.

#26     Jan 8, 2018
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Do you know how much people would pay to be the secretary of Buffett for a month? Even just a dinner with him was auctioned for a bunch of money. ($2.7 mill this year) The point is, if the manager is a good money maker and it is possible to learn from him (a big if) I don't see why paying for the opportunity (some might call it a job) would be wrong or strange.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/business/warren-buffett-dining-ebay.html

#27     Jan 8, 2018
  8. sle

sle

I don't think it's wrong, but I do think it's strange.

First of all, there is a big difference between grabbing dinner with a global superpower (Buffet, Gates, Obama or even Trump) and doing menial labor for a some unknown dude who's only claim to fame is his own website.

Secondly, people are not paying Buffet, they are paying some charity and none of the winners would really view it as "an investment". People donate bigger sums in a variety of ways.

Third of all, it's a self-reinforcing problem - people who actually know how to make money in the markets and need help with menial labour are not going to ask you for money.

#28     Jan 8, 2018
    Frederick Foresight and d08 like this.
  9. erick_red

erick_red

Focus on one thing and look for a sincere advisor that tells you things as clear as you can

#29     Jan 9, 2018
  10. zdreg

zdreg

call it a wash sale between menial work and tuition charged.

#30     Jan 9, 2018