cool-running laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Susannah, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Anyone have a laptop that goes easy on the power and runs pretty cool that they can recommend? Mine gets really hot, which makes it run slowly. I carry it around with me a lot, so one of those platforms with fans isn't really a good option for me.

2. Tums

Tums

3. Got a fan cradle to mount my laptop onto when using a desk. Big difference. However, I know of no way to cool a laptop while it's sitting on your lap.

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

Features:

* World’s first Patented Notebook Air Extracting Fan.
    * It allows very quick extraction of the hot air in your system, which stabilizes the operation of the NB and prolongs its lifetime.
    * Comes with universal clip making it compatible with major notebook brands
    * Small and light, unlike big cooling pads
    * Can rotate up to 180 degrees to adjust angle and a two speed fan controller.
    * Simple design with a great look and LED light decorations

Specifications:

* Dimensions: 51.6X23.4X13mm
    * Rated Voltage: 5VDC(USB)
    * Speed: 3000±10%RPM (MIN)
    3800±10%RPM (MAX)
    * Noise Level : <24 dBA (MIN)
    <26 dBA (MAX)
    * Bearing Type: Ever Lubricate Long Life Bearing
    * Net Weight: 60g

[​IMG]

5. The laptop's fairly old and everything is backed up, so I'm not worried about that, just wanting to know what a good replacement laptop would be.

6. LG was selling a watercooled laptop (cheap), but i have no details, just read the ad in a newspaper somewhere.

7. My new laptop runs cool. Its a dell.

8. Susannah,

Depends on the budget. Solid-state hard drives are becoming less extravagent. They are much faster, run cooler and last longer on a battery charge. I have friends with those for primary laptop drives who swear they get six hours per battery charge.

I trade on a laptop, so running cool is as important as speed. On a laptop, the two are related. If too hot, the processor slows down. I may try out one of those drives. They are basically large RAM chips shaped to fit into the laptop's HDD bay.