Cool Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Mar 7, 2004.

1. The correct dialogue is:

"... coffee's for closers only."

#11     Mar 7, 2004
  2. I think Mamet is just getting better and better. I truly think this is his finest dialogue yet -- even better than GGR and House of Cards...

Jimmy: So, this Joe, is he cool?
    Pinky: My motherfucker is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bergman: Don't you want to hear my last words?
    Joe Moore: I just did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bergman: Everybody needs money! That's why they call it money!

Bergman: I hate to do anything as dramatic as count to three but one, two, three.

Jimmy: No one can hear me.
    Joe Moore: No one can hear what you don't say.
    Jimmy: Hey, I'm as quiet as an ant pissing on cotton.
    Joe Moore: I don't want you as quiet as an ant pissing on cotton. I want you as quiet as an ant not even thinking about pissing on cotton.

Joe Moore: He isn't gonna shoot me, then he hadn't oughta point a gun at me. It's insincere.

Bobby Blane: You know why the chicken crossed the road? Because the road crossed the chicken.

Coffee Cart Man: Hey buddy. You forgot your change.
    Joe Moore: [Takes the change] Makes the world go round.
    Bobby Blane: What's that?
    Joe Moore: Gold.
    Bobby Blane: Some people say love.
    Joe Moore: Well, they're right, too. It is love. Love of gold.

Bergman: What, do you want to tell me what made you a criminal?
    Joe Moore: What made *you* a criminal?
    Bergman: Nothing made me a criminal. I *am* a criminal.

Joe Moore: Why should we believe her? Why the fuck did he send her here?
    Jimmy: I think she came to me on her own.

D.A. Freccia: You're a pretty smart fella.
    Joe Moore: Ah, not that smart.
    D.A. Freccia: [If] you're not that smart, how'd you figure it out?
    Joe Moore: I tried to imagine a fella smarter than myself. Then I tried to think, "what would he do?"

Bergman: What's that lady see in you, anyway?
    Joe Moore: I'm resilient.
    Bergman: So's Gumby.
    Joe Moore: I got a better profile.

Bergman: This other thing, the Swiss thing, if I was a publisher I'd publish the plans.
    Bobby Blane: Why don't you publish the plans?
    Bergman: Yeah, no, I said that's what I would do if I was a publisher. Unfortunately, I'm a thief so I have to do that thing.

Joe Moore: You screw me on Wednesday, you screw me on Friday. I gotta go, I got my picture on a cereal box.

Pinky: It's a shame you know what, we didn't actually get to do the thing, the swiss job. It's a beautiful plan.
    Joe Moore: Cute, huh?
    Pinky: Cute as a pail full of kittens.

Joe Moore: You want to play the dozens? Huh? Here we go. There was an error at the hospital, you died at birth, your turn.

Jimmy: You going somewhere?
    Joe Moore: What are you, the social service lady?
    Jimmy: You thinking of going somewhere?
    Joe Moore: You come to take the baby back?

Pinky: Oh my, oh my. Go sell chocolates you Heidi-motherfuckers, go sell cukoo clocks, we got your gold!

Pinky: Nice day for the race.

Bergman: OK, you want to wrap it up? Or you want to just stand around here, try to guess my real name?
    Joe Moore: What is your real name?
    Bergman: Rumpelstiltskin.
    Joe Moore: What was it before you changed it?

Joe Moore: She could talk her way out of a sunburn.

Joe Moore: What do you want me to do? Just pull up a chair while you rape me?

Bobby Blane: Sometimes adrenaline gives people the shakes, some might think it's precarious, so maybe you'd want to pray about it.
    Jimmy: I'm not a religious man.
    Bobby Blane: There's nothing wrong with prayer. We knew this firefighter, this trooper, who always caried a bible next to his heart. We used to mock him, but that bible stopped a bullet.
    Jimmy: No shit.
    Bobby Blane: Hand of God, that bible stopped a bullet, would of ruined that fucker's heart. And had he had another bible in front of his face, that man would be alive today.

Pinky: Never liked the Swiss, they make them little clocks, these two cocksuckers come out of 'em with these little hammers, hit each other on the head. What kind of sick mentality is that?

Joe Moore: Nobody lives forever.
    Fran Moore: Frank Sinatra gave it a shot.

Joe Moore: Where's my wife?
    Bergman: Let me tell you something about your girl Joe, she's a whore.

D.A. Freccia: Looks like gold.
    Joe Moore: That's cause I gilded it.

Bergman: You should have popped the girl.
    Joe Moore: Well, you should have been there.

[In a bar]
    Betty Croft: Take it easy, baby, that stuff'll rot your stomach lining.
    Fran Moore: Yeah, but I get to drink it first.

#13     Mar 7, 2004
  3. #14     Mar 7, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Oh man, "Office Space" has to be one of the funniest movies ever!

"I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman". "

"Dom Portwood: Hello, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
    Dom Portwood: Yeah. Uh, did you get that memo?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. The problem is, I just forgot this time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not a problem anymore.
    Dom Portwood: Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before now before they go out now. So I'd really appreciate it if you could just remember to do that. from now on. That'd be great."

"Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
    Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.
    Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
    Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
    Lawrence: Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
    Peter Gibbons: Good point.
    Lawrence: Well what about you now? what would you do?
    Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
    Lawrence: Well yeah.
    Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
    Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
    Peter Gibbons: I'd relax, I would sit on my ass all day, I would do nothing.
    Lawrence: Well you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do shit. "

"Peter Gibbons: Well see, they wrote all this bank software, and, uh, to save space, they used two digits instead of four. So like 98 instead of 1998? Uh, so I go through these thousands of lines of code and, uh... it doesn't really matter. I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.
    Joanna: You're just not gonna go?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Joanna: Won't you get fired?
    Peter Gibbons: I don't know, but I really don't like it, and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
    Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
    Peter Gibbons: Nah-uh. Not really. Uh... I'm just gonna stop going.
    Joanna: When did you decide all that?
    Peter Gibbons: About an hour ago.
    Joanna: An hour ago... so you're gonna get another job?
    Peter Gibbons: I don't think I'd like another job.
    Joanna: Well, what are you going to do about money and bills and...
    Peter Gibbons: You know, I've never really liked paying bills. I don't think I'm gonna do that, either."

"Bob Slydell: If you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
    Bob Slydell: Great.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door--that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh--after that I sorta space out for an hour.
    Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work."

"Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
    Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
    Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up."

"Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
    Peter Gibbons: Well, I wouldn't exactly say I've been *missing* it, Bob."

"Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire."

Michael Bolton: You haven't even been showing up for work, and you got to keep your job.
    Peter Gibbons: Actually I'm being promoted."

"Peter Gibbons: When I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired."

"Peter Gibbons: Um, the 7-Eleven, right? You take a penny from the tray.
    Joanna: From the crippled children?
    Peter Gibbons: No, that's the jar. I'm talking about the tray, the pennies for everybody"

#15     Mar 7, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

"American History X" was awesome. Very powerful.

A quirky but funny film that came out last year that I thought was very well done is "Igby Goes Down."

And a very powerful Kenneth Brannagh film "Conspiracy" is a must see. It's based on the true story of the Wannsee Conference in Germany in 1942.

I'm trying to point out films that are being mentioned or not mentioned that perhaps people aren't aware of.

"American Psycho" is pretty provocative. A great satire film about greed in the 1980's written by a great author Bret Easton Ellis.

#16     Mar 7, 2004
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Oh man I almost forgot about this movie. This movie is a classic. If you liked "Swingers", you will love this movie. And it's even on cable tomorrow. "The Tao of Steve"

"Dex: Do you want to have sex with this woman?
    Dave: Definitely.
    Dex: Okay, then you're violating the first rule of being Steve.
    Dave: Who?
    Dex: You must learn to eliminate your desire.
    Rick: It's Buddhist.
    Dex: I think the Taoists said it first.
    Rick: Hey, are we gonna have a seminar or are we gonna play golf?
    Dex: Just a short seminar on the elimination of desire, okay? If you're out with this girl and even THINKING about getting laid, you're finished, cuz women can smell an agenda like shit on a shoe"

"Dex: Look at me. Look at me, okay? Technically, I shouldn't be getting laid, but I do. And do you know why, Dave? Because when I'm hanging out with a woman, that's all I'm doing is hanging out, talking, listening. I'm not sitting there thinking about how to get in bed with her. And this completely confuses them because they're saying "Wait a minute. I'm so much better looking than this guy. Isn't he attracted to me?" The basic principle: We pursue that which retreats from us.
    Rick: It's from Heidegger."

"Dex: But I think seriously that most people want a composite of the opposite sex. Ya know, cuz you gals aren't ever going to find Antonio Banderas with the personality of Fred MacMurray. And I'm never going to get Rachel Welch with the personality of Lucille Ball.
    Syd: What's wrong with just Lucille Ball?
    Rick: What's wrong with just Rachel Welch?
    Dex: Amen! I mean my biggest fear is that I'm gonna marry the woman that I want to hang out with and talk to in my golden years and then die in a fiery car crash when I'm forty and I miss all those years of having sex"

"Dex: Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?
    Syd: Oh, I see. So you're only options are to get stoned or commit genocide?"

"Dex: And this takes us to the second rule of Being Steve: You have to do something excellent in her presence, thus demonstrating your sexual worthiness"

"Syd: Don Giovanni slept with thousands of women because he was afraid he wouldn't be loved by one."

"Dex: Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

"Dex: Awwww, dude, there's a certain order you're supposed to do things in, and telling someone you love them is definitely last in that order.
    Dave: Well, when are you supposed to tell 'em?
    Dex: I dunno. Maybe your 40th wedding anniversary or something? "

"Dex: I'm gonna tell you this one last time and maybe you should tattoo it on your dick so you don't forget, okay? "We pursue that which retreats from us.

Dex: And that takes us to Part III of the Tao of Steve, okay? Alright, after you've eliminated your desire, and after you've been excellent in her presence, then you must retreat. Okay?"

"Dex: You think all Buddhist monks are like the Dalai Lama? I mean, you don't there are guys in Nepal, right, who are like, "What should I do? Should I carry packs of heavy shit for Westerners up to the top of the base camp on Mt. Everest, or should I stay down here in Katmandu and maybe just chant all day and check out chicks and pretend to be holy?"

"Dex: Both men and women want to have sex. It's natural, except we're on different timetables. Women want to have sex, like, y'know, fifteen minutes after us, so alright, if you hold out for twenty she'll be chasing you for five."

"Dex: You can't just go up to a woman and say, 'Hi! I'm Dave! I like smoking pot, reading the sports page on the john...wanna have sex with me?'"

#17     Mar 8, 2004
  7. i dont believe you actually take time to research and then type all this shite :eek:

but apparently you do :p

#18     Mar 8, 2004
  8. Schindler's List
    Requiem for a Dream
    Maverick
    The Crow
    Ben Hur
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Pulp Fiction
    Resevoir Dogs
    Kill Bill
    The Jazz Singer