Cool Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I decided to start a cool movie thread. Feel free to post some of your favorite movies, preferably non mainstream movies or perhaps those that most people would not be aware of.

One of my old favorites was on cable yesterday. I forgot how much I liked this movie. If you haven't seen "True Romance", it's one of the best movies ever made and it has a cast to kill for.

Christian Slater
    Patricia Arquette
    Dennis Hopper
    Val Kilmer
    Brad Pitt
    Christopher Walken
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Gary Oldman
    Bronson Pinchot
    Michael Rapaport
    Chris Penn
    Tom Sizemore
    James Gandolfini

Directed by Tony Scott

Written by Quentin Taratino

The scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken was classic. Has to be one of the best scenes I have ever seen in a movie. Classic.

2. FRIDAY
    NEXT FRIDAY
    FRIDAY AFTER NEXT

"You just got knocked the hell out!"
    "She knows all the snacks before they hit the street..."
    "Don't try to fix me up wit da little sister who's bigger than the big sista."
    "Don't let me catcha wit your finger in my sugarbowl.. ya hear me knockin"..?"

:D

3. :)

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Great movie.

"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."

"You play for a living, it's like any other job. You don't gamble, you grind it out. Your goal is to win one big bet an hour. That's it. Get your money in when you have the best of it, protect it when you don't. Don't give anything away."

"Always leave yourself outs. Applies to a player's life away from the game same as it does at the table."

"You were looking for that third three, but you forgot that Professor Green folded it on Fourth Street and you're doing your best to represent that you had it. The DA made his two pair, but he knows they're no good here. Judge Kaplan was looking to squeeze out that diamond flush, but he came up short. And Mr. Eisen is futilely hoping tha this queens'll stand up. Like I said, the professor's bet is twenny dollars."

"In his Confessions of a Winning Poker Player, Jack King said, "Few players recall big pots they have won -- strange as it seems -- but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career." Seems true to me, 'cause walking in here I can hardly remember how I built my bankroll, but I can't stop thinking about how I lost it."

"Put a guy like me in a weak game like that, the cards themselves hardly matter. A fish acts strong, he's bluffing, acts meek, he has a hand."

"The poker room at the Mirage in Vegas is the center of the poker universe. Doyle Brunsen, Johnny Chan, Phil Helmuth - the legends - consider it their office. Every couple of days a new millionaire shows up wanting to beat a world champion. Usually they go home with nothing but a story."

"All the luck inthe world isn't gonna change things for these guys. Theyr'e simply overmatched. We're not playing together, but we're not playing against each other, either. It's like the Nature Channel. You do'nt see piranhas eating each other, do you?"

"Generally, the rule is, the nicer the guy, the poorer the card player."

"Fold or hang tough. Call or raise the bet. These are decisions you make at the table. Sometimes the odds are stacked so clear there's only one way to play it. Other times, like holding a small pair against two over cards, it's six to five, or even money, either way. Then it's all about feel, what's in your guts."

"You can't lose what you don't put in the middle... but you can't win much, either."

"Teddy KGB: That ace couldn't have helped you. I bet it all.
    Mike: You're right, it didn't help me. I flopped the nut straight."

"Why do you think the same 5 guys are at the finals of the world series of poker EVERY year? They're the luckiest guys in Vegas?"

5. royal tannenbaums
    secretary
    donnie darko
    dancer in a room upstairs
    amelie
    pi

funniest:
    super troopers

"Littering and.. littering annd... litering annnd........

...smokin the reefer."

"Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly pimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?"

" The Snozzberries taste like Snozzberries!"

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Royal Tannenbaums was very well done.

I also concur on Pi.

7. I'm a sucker for the New Line Platinum Collection.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Am I the only person who has seen True Romance? Unreal, guys that movie rocks. Cult classic.

How about this one? The Spanish Prisoner. One of the best con movies ever made. Also a rare dramatic role for Steve Martin playing the con man.

"Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due."

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

"Beware of all enterprises which require new clothes"

"Always do business as if the person you're doing business with is trying to screw you, because he probably is. And if he's not, you can be pleasantly surprised."

"Good people, bad people, they generally look like what they are"

"It's an interesting setup, Mr. Ross. It is the oldest confidence game on the books. The Spanish Prisoner. Fellow says him and his sister, wealthy refugees, left a fortune in the home country. He got out, girl and the money stuck in Spain. Here is her most beautiful portrait. And he needs money to get her and the fortune out. Man who supplies the money gets the fortune and the girl. Oldest con in the world."

Seriously, this is one of the most clever movies ever made. Please tell me someone has seen this movie. One of David Mamet's best films.

9. Mamet is the man when it comes to dialogue. My all-time fav of his was the play American Buffalo with Franz and Hoffman.

He also has split writing credits on Ronin, another fav of mine.

"Sam: Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you.
    Vincent: Who taught you?
    Sam: I don't remember. That's the second thing they teach you."

"Sam: I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of."

"Spence: You worried about saving your own skin?
    Sam: Yeah, I am. It covers my body."

"Gregor: Can't we do something?
    Sam: We are doing something, we're sitting here waiting."

10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ronin is a very under rated movie. Have to say, the car chase scenes in that movie don't really get any better.

Another Mamet favorite of mine is "GlenGary Glen Ross".

"We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?
    [Holds up prize.]
    Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired"

"Your name is "your wanting", and you can't play the man's game, you can't close them, and then tell your wife your troubles. 'Cause only one thing counts in this world: get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you fuckin' faggots?"

"A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing."

"Who are you? What's your name?
    Blake: You see this watch? You see this watch?
    Dave Moss: Yeah.
    Blake: That watch costs more than you car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?"

"You got leads. Mitch & Murray paid good money. Get their names to sell them. You can't close the leads you're given, you can't close shit, *you are* shit, hit the bricks pal, and beat it, 'cause you are going *out*.

"Shelley Levene: The leads are weak.
    Blake: "The leads are weak." The fucking leads are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business fifteen years...
    Dave Moss: What's your name?
    Blake: Fuck you. That's my name.
    [Moss laughs.]
    Blake: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name."

"PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN. Coffee is for closers. I don't see any closers here"

"You want to know what it takes to sell real estate? It takes BRASS BALLS to sell real estate"

#10     Mar 7, 2004